"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I heard deep freezing chicken does nothing prior to being served as sashimi. Never had them myself, I'm not willing to take the risk.

Chicken sashimi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken-sashimi-3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	29555  

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
But they can still disgust me. I don't do sushi... just don't like raw flesh of any kind - not because of parasites, just because I don't like the texture. I may be last person in the US who has never been to a sushi bar or restaurant.

I'll qualify that my saying that I have eaten raw conch, just 10 minutes removed from it's shell. It was "cooked" by the acid in lime juice. That was a real delicacy, but conch has some texture, some "chew" to it even raw. Like many shellfish, it turns to inedible rubber when overcooked.
So what do you think happens to the dead parasites when you cook the fish?

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I heard deep freezing chicken does nothing prior to being served as sashimi. Never had them myself, I'm not willing to take the risk.

Chicken sashimi
Because the problem with chicken sashimi is bacteria, which can survive freezing.

Of course, one needs to be careful of bacteria with raw fish as well.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
So what do you think happens to the dead parasites when you cook the fish?
They are cooked... along with the fish. No problem. Same with the ground up bugs in flour. Doesn't bother me.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
But they can still disgust me. I don't do sushi... just don't like raw flesh of any kind - not because of parasites, just because I don't like the texture. I may be last person in the US who has never been to a sushi bar or restaurant.

I'll qualify that my saying that I have eaten raw conch, just 10 minutes removed from it's shell. It was "cooked" by the acid in lime juice. That was a real delicacy, but conch has some texture, some "chew" to it even raw. Like many shellfish, it turns to inedible rubber when overcooked.
If you ever do go for sushi, you might enjoy several of the clam nigiri. Octopus, which is cooked, has a nice chewiness and great flavor, and the shrimp is cooked, too. Eel, which is broiled is another option for those who canít abide raw fish.

Sushi isnít about raw fish, itís about the rice!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Could someone add the tags: gross, disgusting, scary.....and I used to eat sushi. <crying emoticon> paracitacles, eggscicles.....Yes English is a mystery BT.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Much like everything else in Japanese culture, there is a well thought out reason for why things are done a certain way. In this light, a tertiary, or maybe quaternary reason for slicing sashimi thinly is to be 200% sure that there are no visible nematodes.
you can add to the list - sliced thinly for delicacy of eating in one bite -

a honking big chunk of rice and fish would likely make you gag!

add - visual effect
Old 03-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

You are not alone. I too want my fish cooked. Never had sushi and never intend to.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

When I first met my wife she ate all kinds of raw fish whenever we went out for sushi. Now she eats sushi but can't have any raw fish in them. I think she was just trying to impress me back then. Actually, saves me money now... She can order her lousy 8 dollar California roll while I order the real thing...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Head Chef

Most parasites occur in fresh water fish. Thats why you should never use fresh water fish for sushi, unless it is cooked.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish