Peeling the shell off of bbq shrimp..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so you're not supposed to leave the shell on when grilling?

You can grill shrimp either way. With the shell off, they will cook very fast so watch them closely.

Raw shrimp are a greyish white color. When you cook shrimp, the greyish white turns to snow white. you can see the color change move from the surface of the shrimp touching the pan (or grill) up towards the center of the shrimp. Before the color change reaches the middle, turn the shrimp over and do the other side. It's done when it's all snow white (with reddish markings). Don't leave it on for a little longer "just to be sure it's done", it already is.

You can devein with the shell on using a toothpick. Go somewhat close to the tail, break the shell(back side) w/toothpick and go in just under the vein. Pinch w/toothpick and thumb and pull, out it comes. But, that is for headless shrimp. If at all possible, I say buy shrimp whole. The head has so much flavor to add.

The shell adds flavor and protects the meat.

The other thing to consider is that big shrimp doesn't mean big flavor. I'd say 20-25 count or so has best flavor, imo. U15's and bigger just don't do it for me. Maybe just me.

You can devein with the shell on using a toothpick. Go somewhat close to the tail, break the shell(back side) w/toothpick and go in just under the vein. Pinch w/toothpick and thumb and pull, out it comes. But, that is for headless shrimp. If at all possible, I say buy shrimp whole. The head has so much flavor to add.

The shell adds flavor and protects the meat.

The other thing to consider is that big shrimp doesn't mean big flavor. I'd say 20-25 count or so has best flavor, imo. U15's and bigger just don't do it for me. Maybe just me.

The best shrimp I ever had were in restaurant in Denmark. They were very expensive and only about 1-1.5 cm across when cooked.

I think the bigger shrimp are easier to wrap bacon around. And I like them better for grilled kabobs. It looks like someday I'll have to buy some thawed shrimp from the counter in various sizes and do a taste comparison, but I don't think I ever eat them plain anyway... I always have some seasoning going on. Not like scallops where I barely salt and pepper them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom