Pickled herring question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I bought some pickled herring at Costco. They are pretty good, but they are still too sweet for my taste. Has anyone here ever rinsed the pickled herring and then re-seasoned them? If so, please tell me about it.

What brand is it? I buy "Vita Brand" and it doesn't taste sweet to me. I have never tried to "re-pickle" anything.

What brand is it? I buy "Vita Brand" and it doesn't taste sweet to me. I have never tried to "re-pickle" anything.
It's made by "Feature Foods", a Canadian company. So far, it's the least sweet non-Scandinavian pickled herring that I have tried. I would buy pickled herring at Ikea, but theirs is full of weird chemicals.

I don't buy pickled herring, but if the banana pepper pickles I buy are too sweet, I'll pour out some of the liquid and add more vinegar. I don't think it's a problem.

I don't buy pickled herring, but if the banana pepper pickles I buy are too sweet, I'll pour out some of the liquid and add more vinegar. I don't think it's a problem.

I've done the same with store bought pickled beets that were too sweet. Would probably work with pickled herring.

Just a suggestion, adding some salt and lemon juice will un-sweeten the herring. We have herring, both creamed and pickled at our Scandinavian type smorgasbord xmas dinners.
I like herring in those jars, but I don't buy it regularly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 750g (~1 1/3 lbs) jar of this herring. I will give both methods a try in smaller jars.

Let us know. Because the process to make pickled herring involves brining it first and then adding the flavour as the final step, I wonder if you rinsed it and then pickled it again using vodka and black peppercorns would work...

Let us know. Because the process to make pickled herring involves brining it first and then adding the flavour as the final step, I wonder if you rinsed it and then pickled it again using vodka and black peppercorns would work...
From what I have read, you can use salted herring and skip the brine. Why do you suggest vodka? Because it isn't sour like vinegar? How about white wine?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom