"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Master Chef

The best I ever had was in Vicksburg, Mississippi - don't remember the name of the place but it was on a hill just south of the train station. It was a 12-inch bun with a touch of a mayo based remoulade sauce. lettuce, tomato, onion, and about 8 LARGE (2-3 inch diameter) deep fried oysters.

Their fried catfish sandwich came in a close second ...

And, I've never had a bad meal of any kind in NOLA! (New Orleans, LA for those who don't know what NOLA is).

Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Head Chef

I think this may be tonight's dinner. Question, what sort of batter is used in the frying. I am thinking of oysters but if I can't get those then I will try it with shrimp.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
Executive Chef

it's not a batter..it's a dredging of fish into flour/cornmeal that's been highly seasoned.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Over the years, I have tried every commercial breading I could put my hands on to fry oysters. I've exausted just about every "home made" concoction, mostly flour and corn meal of varying proportions that one can imagine. Some have been good, some have been just Ok, others have been down right bad. Each and every time, my personal favorite always come back to be just plain, and simple cornmeal. Like Miss Blue said...It a breading, not a batter.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Have you tried the Zatarain's fish fry Bob? I like that one, as it's just a light coating.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Have you tried the Zatarain's fish fry Bob? I like that one, as it's just a light coating.

Yes Miss Connie. I love all of the Zatarain's Fish Fry Products, but not on fried oysters. I fried a 1/2 gallon of fresh Gulf Oysters about two weeks ago. Some with Zatarain's, most with just cornmeal. The Zatarain's was good, but when my tatse buds are/were searching for the perfect fried oyster, I always drift back to just plain cornmeal. I was raised eating them that way. Saturday night I fried Catfish and used some Zatarain's.

Oh yeah, I had help eating the 1/2 gallon of oysters

Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
The best I ever had was in Vicksburg, Mississippi - don't remember the name of the place but it was on a hill just south of the train station. It was a 12-inch bun with a touch of a mayo based remoulade sauce. lettuce, tomato, onion, and about 8 LARGE (2-3 inch diameter) deep fried oysters.

Their fried catfish sandwich came in a close second ...

And, I've never had a bad meal of any kind in NOLA! (New Orleans, LA for those who don't know what NOLA is).

Michael, I know the place you are talking about. It was on Grove Street,(I think) but I can't remember the name of the place. I want to say "The Biscuit Company" but I don't think that was it. I think I'm remembering those words being on the outside walls in big faded, almost unreadable letters. Next time I'm in Vicksburg I'll ride down there and see what I can see. I remember the Shrimp Po-Boys being exceptional too!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #18
Master Chef

Elaine - as Vera confirmed, I don't use a batter for my Po'Boy fried oysters. I just dredge them in plain flour seasoned with whatever suits me at the time (cayenne pepper, black pepper, grill seasoning - whatever) or a flour & cornmeal combo. Then I just shallow pan-fry them in vegetable or canola oil, turning them once. Depending on size, just about a minute or two per side.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
Head Chef

I didn't end up making them today. Went out to lunch with my daughter so I wasn't hungry. Glad that was the case since there is so much new info on this thread. I will try it on thurs. Thanks Breezy for answering my next question which was method for frying. Sounds good. Thanks all!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Master Chef

You're welcome! I know that it's "traditional" for most folks, & commercial restaurants of course, to deep fry oysters, but I just find it a big waste of time & oil, especially since they cook so darn quickly. I've never had mine turn out oily or greasy pan-fried - just keep your oil hot, don't overcrowd the pan, & keep a close eye on them to prevent overcooking/burning.

Tags
None