"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question regarding shrimp

Hey guys

I can't help but notice the annoyance of picking the black-spine thing out of fresh shrimp everytime and it's getting annoying using knives and picking them out one by one...

Anybody know a better way? I don't usually buy frozen shrimps...

Thanks
Derg

Old 11-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I use a small skewer, go in just under it and lift it out without the whole knife cut

Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

What part of the USA do you live in that fresh shrimp is regularly available?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

I guess what you are talking about is the so-called vein, which is actually the intestine, and the black stuff is.... well, what you would expect in intestine.

No I thought of about 15 creative ways to refer to the stuff but this is a family cooking site, and besides auntdot is polite. Sometimes. When she is sober. OK, enough about me.

I have purchased a number of those different tools for removing the vein and really don't like them very much. Prefer just using a knife, slitting the back, and removing it under running water.

But this can get very tedious with three or four lbs of even large shrimp so will often sigh, dig out one of those reamers, and let fly.

Would kill, OK, auntdot will not kill but would think about it, for fresh shrimp. But do find the vein filled even in frozen shrimp. Seems to vary from batch to batch.

Where I am going on this I have no idea, so will close. Take care, y'all.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Head Chef

Regarding the vein on the shrimp which is actually the intestine which is black I would split the whole thing open and then run it under water.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have lived in Florida and then near the coast of Texas for over 30 years. I used to have shrimp traps in my yard. I love them.

The absolute best way to deal with the "vein" is the plastic shrimp de-veiner. Costs about $2.00. Look in the seafood department of the grocery store. It is usually red. Overall length is maybe 10 inches. The skinny end is curved down and is pointy on the last few inches.

Hold the de-headed, raw shrimp in one hand and slide the de-veiner under the skin and push it in. As the tool gets wider it fulcrums off the skin and the vein in one easy motion.

The result is one clean shrimp.

Now, if you should be lucky enough to get heads on shrimp... hold the body in one hand the head in the other... twist and pull- headless.

Use the heads and or skins/veins to boil in water with onion, celery salt, pepper maybe a few carrots- makes a great seafood stock/base.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hopz has it exactly right. These are the shrimp shellers that the seafood markets along the SE coast use for massive amounts of shrimp cleaning.
They are probably a dollar! They don't tear up the shrimp.
Brown the shrimp shells a bit, add some water and simmer for a stock.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Actually I dont get fresh shrimp regularly, it's just when I get them I get ALOT of them and I'm usually the one "de-veining" them. It get's to be such as hassel that when ever I look at the huge bowl-full of shrimps I just want to puke ...But they still taste good, better than frozen ones anyway. I live in CT

Thanks about that little gadget, I'll pick one up this weekend.
Derg
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Here's a little trick that usually works for me. With larger shrimp, at least (30/lb and up), just grab the vein where it used to be attached to the head and pull. Almost always the whole thing pulls right out intact. If not, I operate. But, generally, the work goes quickly and painlessly.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Derg,

I'm also in CT. What is it about frozen shrimp that you don't like? Where do you get the fresh ones?

I typically have 4-10 lbs of frozen shrimp in my freezer so I'm ready to make Bang Bang Shrimp whenever I get a request for it!

Got a new recipe from Top Secret Recipes this week for Ruby Tuesday's Thai Phoon Shrimp that I'm anxious to try.

Corinne

Tags
None