"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Head Chef

Rainbow trout fillet ideas?

any ideas on how to cook 1/2 lb of rainbow trout fillet with the skin on?
Also, would like to somehow incorporate cooking garden zucchini with it at the same time if I can. It's a pretty skinny fish. I'll probably serve instant mashed on the side as I need to use it up.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I like to marinate zucchini in olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, S&P for about an hour, then grill. You could marinate the fish along with it and grill them together. HTH.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Head Chef

We need to buy a new grill so I'll have to do it in the oven. Just afraid the fish wont' take long to cook and than the zucchini will need more time. Also, wondering about how long it might take to cook the fish on say 350 or something like that.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My favorite way to cook rainbow trout (or trout in general) is sauteed with a cornmeal crust. I'd probably do the zucchini in a separate pan with some garlic and olive oil.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I've only cooked whole trout, but I always sprinkled it inside and out with lemon pepper and brushed it with butter. Then grilled it on a SS screen set on the grate. Good stuff.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
We need to buy a new grill so I'll have to do it in the oven. Just afraid the fish wont' take long to cook and than the zucchini will need more time. Also, wondering about how long it might take to cook the fish on say 350 or something like that.
The rule of thumb for fish is 10 minutes per inch of thickness.

You could cut the zucchini into planks (long slices) and it would cook faster, although it really doesn't take very long, since it's so tender already. I like it firm, not too soft.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Master Chef

Half a pound of Rainbow Trout filet is a fairly meagre amount of fish. I assume you're making it just for yourself?

It's a very thin piece of fish, so I'd place it, along with your sliced zucchini, on a well-oiled broiler pan, season both liberally with your favorite Italian dressing & maybe some grated parmesan cheese, & broil for about 4-5 minutes tops. If you prefer to bake it at, as you said, just 350, I'd allow 15 minutes or so.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
This does not include the zuccs, but it is my favorite way of preparing the fish:

Cornmeal crusted, fan seared, stuffed with wilted spinach with toasted garlic and pine nuts, and drizzled with browned butter. serve with roasted fingerling potatoes...or heck, maybe some zucchini!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I just did some whole trout the other night. I seasoned them with salt, pepper and Old Bay then lined the inside with thinly sliced lemon. Fried in a non-stick pan with olive oil and butter until the skin was crispy.

For the zuchini I would fry them with panko crust or quick saute.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My dad and I use to fish for rainbow's every chance we could get..But it was a long drive to Nevada our favorite spot to hike...So after catching and cleaning our limits...our dinner was first dredged in flour that had salt and pepper in it then dipped in egg,back in flour and then into a hot skillet with dear how do I say it, either bacon grease or lard..along side were home fries with some green onions mixed in, eggs either fried or scrambled. toast and jam, black coffee for my folks and milk for my sister..me I had coffee and juice..
So anytime I see or hear rainbow trout, I remember breakfast and sometimes dinner with my folks. in a cabin with a wood fire going...

kadesma

Tags
None