"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Recipe Suggestion - Scallops and Prawns

Hi All,

I'm looking for some suggestions please.

I got some fresh cooked/peeled prawns and scallops from the Fishmonger yesterday afternoon and having them for my tea this evening.

I was thinking of steaming or cooking some rice (not sure if it's possible to just steam rice but it sounded nice in my head). I was thinking of doing a marie rose sauce for the prawns and just heating up the pan really hot and doing the scallops a minute on each side. A bit of assorted veg for the side and job done.

However, I don't know of any extra seasoning I could use, or how to make the marie rose sauce etc.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Amnesia

Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Master Chef

Marie Rose Sauce

I also add a dash of Tabasco for zing to mine :)

Adding a knob of butter to the pan for the prawns and scallops give a nice flavour. I do it after one side has browned and I've turned them over.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Master Chef

Sounds a lot like thousand island dressing.

I can get great scallops here, and love to sear them, then deglaze with dry sherry (sweeter if you like sweeter), cream, a a pinch of hot pepper flakes/powder, and some green peppercorns. I think the original recipe is from the Hotter than Hell cookbook, but I just wing it any more. I serve it over linguini, I think the original recipe served it on puff pastry shells, but really, any starch would do.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Sounds a lot like thousand island dressing.

I can get great scallops here, and love to sear them, then deglaze with dry sherry (sweeter if you like sweeter), cream, a a pinch of hot pepper flakes/powder, and some green peppercorns. I think the original recipe is from the Hotter than Hell cookbook, but I just wing it any more. I serve it over linguini, I think the original recipe served it on puff pastry shells, but really, any starch would do.
Sounds lovely Claire, I'll be trying that for sure! I love green peppercorns :)
Do you use the pickled ones or in brine?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Master Chef

The ones available to me are Reese brand in a brine, a Spanish import. If you can't find them, capers would be a good substitute. If you use dried, I'd recommend taking some of the sherry and soaking them over night.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The ones available to me are Reese brand in a brine, a Spanish import. If you can't find them, capers would be a good substitute. If you use dried, I'd recommend taking some of the sherry and soaking them over night.
Thank you :) We get them brined so I'll use the ones I normally buy. I think the brand is Mayfair.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Half Baked

How about a seafood bechamel served over white rice. I use a little gruyere in mine then bake it briefly to brown the top.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, recipe

Recipe Suggestion - Scallops and Prawns Hi All, I'm looking for some suggestions please. I got some fresh cooked/peeled prawns and scallops from the Fishmonger yesterday afternoon and having them for my tea this evening. I was thinking of steaming or cooking some rice (not sure if it's possible to just steam rice but it sounded nice in my head). I was thinking of doing a marie rose sauce for the prawns and just heating up the pan really hot and doing the scallops a minute on each side. A bit of assorted veg for the side and job done. However, I don't know of any extra seasoning I could use, or how to make the marie rose sauce etc. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Amnesia 3 stars 1 reviews