Redfish courtbouillon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cantcook

Cook
First off this recipe can use any fish thats not very flaky..........snapper, amberjack, grouper... I've even used catfish with pretty good results.

1 large Onion
½ yellow bell pepper

½ orange bell pepper

1/2 red bell pepper
1 clove of garlic - diced
salt and cayenne and black pepper
1/2 stick of Butter
1, 10-ounce can Rotel Tomatoes

1 small can Tomato sauce

1 can golden cream of mushroom soup

Chicken broth
2 lbs Fish - filleted about 1-inch thick

A tablespoon or two of red wine (optional)

A squeeze or two of a lemon

2 bay leaves

dice onions and garlic, slice bell pepper into thin inch long strips. In a large pot sauté the vegetables in butter until only slightly wilted. Use the wine to deglaze the pan. Add Rotel and tomato sauce and soup, bay leaves, lemon juice. Add salt and pepper (Tony Chacheres) to taste. Don’t over pepper this dish, its not supposed to be hot. Add chicken broth as needed to achieve desired consistency……..I like mine a little thicker. Simmer a few minutes then lay fish filets on top of sauce.. Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes. (No stirring needed.)

Serve over rice with Chopped Green Onions and Parsley.

One variation that makes it a little easier to cook if you have thick filets, is to cut them up into 2 inch square cubes, you can also stir the fish into your courtbouillon when cut like this.

Also, this is the quick and easy method. A more traditional approach calls for making a dark brown roux (1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup butter or oil) and building up from there……….sauteeing your veggies in the roux when it reaches its desired color, and not using the soup as in the above recipe. Also, you would use more chicken broth in this recipe, and add it to your roux slowly to make a gravy before adding the rest of your ingredients. I cook it both ways, and they come out SO close to the same that I only take the long route if I have guests over that have never had a good fish courtbouillon before.

Back
Top Bottom