"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I disagree with leaving them in too. I had one lodge in the back of throat and I couldn't get it out without the help of others and a pair of pliers. I would prefer to remove them from the fillet/steak rather than my family/guests.
I have to agree. Too dangerous to serve something that can potentially kill someone. Should the bone make it down the throat, it can pierce the intestinal track and create peritonitis poisoning. And they won't discover the cause until they perform the autopsy.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Honey Badger
Thank you everyone.I went with the feel and pull with needle nosed pliers technique. Didn't miss one bone. Yeah me..

I had bought at the time 2 large 4Lb fillets. While cleaning them up trimming off the excess ugly fat,-off sides pieces. I went ahead and cut them into individual steak pieces.

Everyone around here has been sick for a week so I was in a hurry to get that taken care of and frozen before it went bad. I was down 3 days.

Were like some here when it comes to the bones. It's not acceptable at a restruant to bite into a piece and choke on the bones. You shouldn't have to pick out the bones. Not with the prices they charge for it anyways. Cooking it at home bone in doesn't do anything to enhance the flavor. In my house the only thing it would enhance is a complaint. Who's going to hear that? ME!

You were right Andy, it was a little work because it was steak cut.

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
Munky, a filet is a piece of salmon all from one side of the fish. A salmon steak is a cut across the length of the fish with some of the filet from both sides and a section of the backbone.

What you did was to portion the filet into servings.

Here is a picture of a steak. You can see the backbone in the middle.
Attached Images
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Honey Badger
I sure did Andy.. Ooops.. Saw those at the time. Hey I was quesy at the time. Didn't look appealing. I just wanted out of that section anyways.

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote