"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Place Salmon fillets in a plastic ziplock bag, pour over half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tbs of honey, juice of one lemon, 1 tbs of light olive oil and half a tsp of chilli flakes. Close bag and gently massage till marinade coats all parts of the fish. Leave in the fridge for about 1 hour. Sear salmon in a hot pan with a little oil on both sides. Allow to rest for 5 mins, slice thinly and serve with sticky rice or in a crisp green salad.
That sounds wonderful Snip...we love our atlantic salmon so we will certainly be trying this one
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Place Salmon fillets in a plastic ziplock bag, pour over half a cup of soy sauce, 2 tbs of honey, juice of one lemon, 1 tbs of light olive oil and half a tsp of chilli flakes. Close bag and gently massage till marinade coats all parts of the fish. Leave in the fridge for about 1 hour. Sear salmon in a hot pan with a little oil on both sides. Allow to rest for 5 mins, slice thinly and serve with sticky rice or in a crisp green salad.
Thanks Snip, I don't care very much for salmon but your recipe makes me want to give it a go again.
kades
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Scandinavian fish recipes often use fresh dill. The Scandinavian cooking show site (featured on PBS) has a lot of salmon recipes (newscancook.com).

This site also has a lot of Scandinavian salmon recipes:

Scandinavian Salmon Recipes | Yummly
I occasionally watch that show. The dumbest one I saw was when they filmed on top of the highest mountain they could find. That poor guy was shivering so hard he could hardly hold on to anything. I failed to understand the purpose of that particular episode. Did the producers really think a viewer was going to search for the highest mountain and cook for friends and family there?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #24
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
salmon is great cause you can do it many ways: grilled, smoked, poached, for breakfast or raw for sushi. depending on the type of salmon, ie; king, coho, atlantic or pacific, it varies in flavor concentration and fat content, thus you are left with what to do with it. coho and pink both have a lower fat content, and stronger flavor, meaning you can crust and/or pan fry, its even good for sushi because of the intense flavor profile just make sure it's fresh, not frozen. for smoking, grilling and poaching you want to make sure that you have Scottish, wild Atlantic, king or pacific salmon, for a higher fat content as the fish will naturally baste itself. so as salmon is versatile, you want to base the cooking method off what type of salmon you have versus what dish do i make with salmon.
__________________
chefany87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefany87 View Post
salmon is great cause you can do it many ways: grilled, smoked, poached, for breakfast or raw for sushi. depending on the type of salmon, ie; king, coho, atlantic or pacific, it varies in flavor concentration and fat content, thus you are left with what to do with it. coho and pink both have a lower fat content, and stronger flavor, meaning you can crust and/or pan fry, its even good for sushi because of the intense flavor profile just make sure it's fresh, not frozen. for smoking, grilling and poaching you want to make sure that you have Scottish, wild Atlantic, king or pacific salmon, for a higher fat content as the fish will naturally baste itself. so as salmon is versatile, you want to base the cooking method off what type of salmon you have versus what dish do i make with salmon.
Actually, for eating salmon that won't be cooked with heat, frozen is ideal. Commercially frozen fish will be free of live parasites. Most commercially frozen fish is frozen on the fishing boat and will be much fresher than "fresh fish", if you don't live near the source.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #26
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 455
Grilled Salmon Recipe

Hi. Here is a simple and delicious recipe we really like and have quite often. Do this on the BBQ or under the Broiler.

Salmon Steaks
1/4 cup Honey
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Dry Mustard

Put Honey, Soy Sauce & Dry Mustard in the microwave for a few seconds to warm. Stir to combine.

Brush the Salmon Steaks with the mixture and BBQ or Broil until done, basting w/sauce occasionally. (check with a fork)

I like to use a fish basket when I grill fish on the BBQ (taco shaped basket w/handles) which I spray w/non-stick oil. Although sometimes I resign myself to scraping the grill afterwards.
__________________
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Thanks Chef, this sounds perfect!
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
I posted this one inside of anther thread awhile ago, but it's worth repeating. Love love this one:

Serve this over some mashed sweet potatoes and it's heavenly.

TNT: Salmon With Jalapeno Lime Sauce

4 (5-ounce) salmon fillets, all bones removed
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Sauce
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
3 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into a julienne
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat is ok, non-fat isn't) or Greek-style yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Dash of salt and pepper

Optional
Fresh lime wedges
Snipped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish. Place the salmon in the dish, skin side down. Combine the lime juice and olive oil; brush over the fish. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes. Place the fish in the oven and bake until the fish is almost opaque, about 8 minutes for each inch of thickness. Remove the skin.

While the fish cooks, prepare the sauce: Over a medium-low heat; heat the olive oil and butter together; add the jalapenos and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sour cream and heat through, do not boil. Remove from heat; stir in the lime juice, salt and pepper.

Transfer the fish to warm plates; spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with minced chives and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I posted this one inside of anther thread awhile ago, but it's worth repeating. Love love this one:

Serve this over some mashed sweet potatoes and it's heavenly.

TNT: Salmon With Jalapeno Lime Sauce

4 (5-ounce) salmon fillets, all bones removed
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Sauce
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
3 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into a julienne
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat is ok, non-fat isn't) or Greek-style yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Dash of salt and pepper

Optional
Fresh lime wedges
Snipped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish. Place the salmon in the dish, skin side down. Combine the lime juice and olive oil; brush over the fish. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes. Place the fish in the oven and bake until the fish is almost opaque, about 8 minutes for each inch of thickness. Remove the skin.

While the fish cooks, prepare the sauce: Over a medium-low heat; heat the olive oil and butter together; add the jalapenos and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sour cream and heat through, do not boil. Remove from heat; stir in the lime juice, salt and pepper.

Transfer the fish to warm plates; spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with minced chives and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
You had me at Jalapeno!
I'll try this, don't have salmon but I'm sure trout would work too!
Sounds yum!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
You had me at Jalapeno!
I'll try this, don't have salmon but I'm sure trout would work too!
Sounds yum!
When do we eat. You are making this at my house, right?

Sounds like a great recipe, especially with trout.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, salmon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.