Rick Bayless: Shrimp in Aguachilie (recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My own experience indicates that ceviche is fine even after hours of marinating in lime juice, or even overnight and served the next day. Not unpleasantly acidic at all.

Buonasera Greg,

Firstly, I am highly allergic to all soy products, thus I only eat my Sashimi with Wasabi and Raw Fresh Ginger ...

I am not on the fishing boats, so I would have to specifically ask about the process of freezing, and if they mean it is on ice on the boats, or when delivered to the Market or Restaurants if the fish or shrimp is frozen in a refrigerator freezer ...

I shall make note to send Kabuki and Gastón emails ...

Ciao, Happy 4th.
Adios, I am off line now.
Margaux.

Nematode Parasites: www.seafish.org

Greg,

In the UK and the EU: "fish is sold raw to the consumer, and it is likely to be cooked, and does not have to be treated " ...

See the www.seafish.org if you wish ...

I too, tell a little white lie ... I have never had problems with above Nematodes, and thus, since it has never occured in all 49 years I have been eating fish and probably 35 that I am eating cebiche and sushimi, it probably shall never.

Thus, enjoy your July 4th,
Margaux Cintrano.

Buonasera Greg,

Firstly, I am highly allergic to all soy products, thus I only eat my Sashimi with Wasabi and Raw Fresh Ginger ...

I am not on the fishing boats, so I would have to specifically ask about the process of freezing, and if they mean it is on ice on the boats, or when delivered to the Market or Restaurants if the fish or shrimp is frozen in a refrigerator freezer ...

I shall make note to send Kabuki and Gastón emails ...

Ciao, Happy 4th.
Adios, I am off line now.
Margaux.

Margi,
I belive that you have to look at it from the prospect of boats that are gone for extended periods vs what I call day boats. Fresh shrimp, which is probably just kept on ice, can only be gotten from a day boat. They go out and come back within a 24 hour period. So it is at the market within that same time period. I'm sure this type of fishing/shrimping/lobstering is quite prevelent in Europe, more so than it is in the US and Canada.

Commercial harvesters that stay out to sea for days and weeks, would most likely freeze their catch. No way to get fresh shrimp from them.

Rick Bayless, being based in Chicago could only get fresh shrimp if he was hooked up with either a day boat directly or a wholeseller that buys directly from day boats. Either way, the supplier would have to get the shrimp on a plane so it is received within that 24 hour window. That is what I would consider fresh shrimp.

That's pretty much the same thing in US. Fish sold in our supermarkets is intended to be cooked. We have to seek specialized sources for sushi-sashimi grade fish intended to be consumed raw. I have only two markets I trust in Los Angeles, although there must be several more since I have not scoured the entire city.

(One market here in NW part of LA, the other one downtown in our Little Tokyo section.)

Greg,

Thank you for your information ... I buy my fish, shellfish and seafood which includes, calamar or squid and octopus from the same man for many years. His main clients are Head Chefs at Restaurants. I shall ask Miguel when I see him tomorrow morning.

Modern Take Cebiche Recipe from: La Mar Cebichería in Miraflores, Lima ( coast of Lima ) Owned by: Chef Gaston Acurio ( he has several You Tube Teaching Videos in Spanish, and 1 or 2 in English ):

1 1/3 pounds wild fresh Black Seabass or Shrimp
2 tsps. salt
Fresh Seaweed
6 swigs of Fresh Cilantro
1/2 red onion sliced finely
1 tiny piece of Peruvian ají amarillo - or red chili pepper with a bit of heat
2 pounds of fresh limes ( 1 1/2 cups of fresh juice )
corn kernels from 1 ear of fresh corn
1 sweet potato peeled, cooked but not overdone and sliced

Marinate in the Lime Juice according to Chef Gaston Acurio and how I have always done it when we lived in South America and Mexico, no more than 10 minutes ...

Put the bowl you are marinading it in, on ice cubes on a bigger bowl ...

It is quite unique ...

Happy 4th.
Margaux Cintrano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom