"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Rick Bayless: Shrimp in Aguachilie (recipe)

Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless - Rick Bayless | Frontera

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice
1 to 2 fresh serrano chiles, stemmed
Salt
1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
About 1 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves, for garnish

Method

No cook. (See the site for method, cannot quote due to copyright.) More or less just mix it up and serve.

I'm a real ceviche and sashimi fan but I haven't ever seen shrimp that would just eat raw, not because I don't think they'd taste good but because I think they might harbor disease and parasites. Or is that the same reason some people won't eat sashimi?

I "cook" my own ceviche in lime juice for several hours. I eat my tuna sashimi as raw as it gets, but I get my ceviche/sashimi fish from markets that I trust to sell me "sushi grade" raw fish.

Is there sushi grade raw shrimp? All my ebi (shrimp) sushi recipes use quickly/lightly cooked shrimp... Discuss.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

There's no such thing as fresh shrimp around here.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

AFAIK all the shrimp I buy here in Los Angeles is flash frozen, probably on the boat, and freshly thawed at my market (or available still frozen if I want to buy a "brick.")
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I've made shrimp ceviche but used frozen shrimp which I cooked first.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Yeah that's my issue, not sure if eating raw shrimp is a safe thing.

I think eating raw fish is pretty safe, depending on where you get it and how it's treated. All my raw fish comes frozen, and from reading sushi/sashimi recipe books I understand that a freeze cycle helps kill parasites.

Maybe if the shrimp were subject to a similar freeze cycle?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

if there was ever a thread that needed timothy, this is it.

tim taught me that any fish that is served raw, or sushi/sashimi style, needs to be deep frozen (beyond the capabity of a normal fridge's freezer) for 3 days in order for it to be safe to consume.

i've used a lot of live shrimp for bait when fishing, and just the little scratches and cuts that you get from their shell often get sore or actually infected, so i'm not so sure how much i'd like to risk eating shrimp raw or acid cooked.

greg, a search about how amaebi is prepared might shed some light on this. i mean, if even the japanese think most shrimp should be cooked when eating as sushi, ya gotta figure thare's a high risk.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

When I was looking for a shrimp ceviche recipe, a high percentage of them used cooked shrimp.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
tim taught me that any fish that is served raw, or sushi/sashimi style, needs to be deep frozen (beyond the capabity of a normal fridge's freezer) for 3 days in order for it to be safe to consume.
That is my understanding too (from my books). Since I don't catch my own sashimi/sushi fish I've relied on my understanding to select stores that furnish suitable quality fish. When I get my sashimi tuna from the store it's frozen so hard I could almost hammer nails with it.

I have only two markets here in L.A. that satisfy my requirements.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
if there was ever a thread that needed timothy, this is it.

Yes indeed.

We go to Cozumel, and a signature dish at many restaurants there is shrimp ceviche. Fresh, locally caught shrimp, prepared, uncooked as far as I know, with lime juice. We have also done snorkel/fishing trips where the captain has cubed up freshly caught fish and made ceviche on the boat. So far, so good, and we have never gotten sick.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I kind of wish I could try Rick's recipe but I don't trust the healthfulness of my shrimp supply line unless I cook the shrimp.

It probably tastes pretty good, although I'd let the shrimp cook in the lime juice for longer than he states. "Cook" in a chemical way, IOW denaturing the proteins. And particularly, denaturing the proteins of any possible parasites too.

Tags
recipe, shrimp

Rick Bayless: Shrimp in Aguachilie (recipe) [URL="http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=212"]Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless - Rick Bayless | Frontera[/URL] [B]Ingredients[/B] 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice 1 to 2 fresh serrano chiles, stemmed Salt 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined About 1 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves, for garnish [B]Method[/B] No cook. (See the site for method, cannot quote due to copyright.) More or less just mix it up and serve. I'm a real ceviche and sashimi fan but I haven't ever seen shrimp that would just eat raw, not because I don't think they'd taste good but because I think they might harbor disease and parasites. Or is that the same reason some people won't eat sashimi? I "cook" my own ceviche in lime juice for several hours. I eat my tuna sashimi as raw as it gets, but I get my ceviche/sashimi fish from markets that I trust to sell me "sushi grade" raw fish. Is there sushi grade raw shrimp? All my [i]ebi[/i] (shrimp) sushi recipes use quickly/lightly cooked shrimp... Discuss. 3 stars 1 reviews