Rio Grande Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rio Grande Catfish

2 Jalapeno peppers ; stemmed a
1/2 c Lime juice ; freshly squeeze
3 Serrano peppers ; semmed and 1/2 md Onion ; diced
1/2 tb Cumin powder
2 tb Cilantro ; minced
2 Cl Garlic ; pressed
4 8 oz catfish fillets ; skinl
1 c Vegetable oil
1 c Tomatoes ; peel, dice, chill

In this part of the country, the table fish of choice is the catfish--at least it's the most common. You can usually order this fish prepared any wa that you like it, as long as it's fried. Now, I've no complaints with a well-fried catfish, but there had to be another way.

So a couple of nights ago, a few friends were over and we tried out this idea. Our "impartial" panel of judges decided that this was a definite keeper, and we are pleased to pass it on to you, literally, hot off the grill

Combine the first eight ingredients in a blender and coarsely blend. Place the filets in a non-reactive container large enough to hold them in a singl layer. Pour the marinade over the filets and cover. Turn the filets once after thirty minutes. After a total marinating time of no more than one hour (any longer and they'll start to fall apart), grill them quickly over very hot mesquite coals, about 2-4 minutes per side, basting with the marinade. Place each filet on a plate, and top with 1/4 cup of chilled chopped tomato.

Looks like an interesting recipe. I sometimes have a problem finding Serrano peppers .... any close substitution you could suggest?

Michael in FtW said:
Looks like an interesting recipe. I sometimes have a problem finding Serrano peppers .... any close substitution you could suggest?

If I can't find serrano, then I'll substitute fresh jalapeno. Serrano chilis are supposedly hotter but on a one a one to one ratio, I seriously doubt most people could tell the difference.

DailyRecipes, did you mean Rio Grande as in Rio Grande Valley? Just wondering, cuz I'm from there, and Cat fish is also the choice of fish.

Back
Top Bottom