How do you prepare your seafood risotto ?
Would enjoy hearing all about your recipes.
In Lombardia, risotto is typically a 1st course, however, please do not feel limited by traditions. Arborio and Carnaroli are varieties of Italian short grain rices, available worldwide at Italian deli shops and supermarkets.
Here is my Grandmom Margharite´s recipe:
RISOTTO WITH SHRIMP, SHELLFISH & FISH ...
Please note: this recipe is for 4 to 6 servings. One can use available local daily catches and / or frozen prawns if fresh unavailable.
1/4 cup Evoo
2 garlic cloves minced
2 medium onions or 2 spring onions chopped finely or shallots
6 ounces squid for calamari cut into 1/4 inch wide rings
12 mussels scrubbed and de-bearded
12 clams scrubbed
2 cups Carnaroli or Arborio Rice from Italy
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 1/2 cups shellfish or fish stock
3 plum ripe juicy tomatoes chopped, seeded and peeled
6 ounces of fresh medium to large size shrimp peeled & deveined
6 ounces Firm white fish: plaice, sea bass, corvina, red snapper, cod fish or monk fish ( angler ) or lake or river fish
salt and black pepper
8 fresh basil leaves
1 tsp. of each: dried basil, dried oregano and dried parsley ( a sprinkling of each )
1 tblsp. fresh minced parsley
1) HEAT EVOO in heavy 6 quart Dutch Oven over medium heat
2) add the minced garlic and sauté until golden
3) add the onion of choice, and sauté until transluscent
4) add the squid, clams and mussels and cover, sautéing 10 mins.
5) discard any shellfish that have not opened their shells
6) transfer the shellfish ( not the squid ) to a large bowl with slotted spoon and cover with foil
7) add the rice to the onion and squid and stir 2 mins. Add the white wine a half of cup, and stir until no liquid remains in Dutch Oven, about 5 mins.
8) meanwhile, bring 4 and a half cups of fish stock or shellfish stock to simmer in another saucepan for 5 mins.
9) add the tomatoes, and stock to the rice and simmer until liquid is absorbed and stirring frequently
10) continue adding enough of remaining stock 1/2 cup at a time until the rice is just tender however firm to bite
11) stir frequently and allow each addition to be absorbed before adding the next addition of stock - 25 mins.
12) add the shrimp and the white firm fish cut into chunks or strips and simmer 5 mins. stirring frequently. Season with the dried herbs and salt and freshly ground black pepper.
13) transfer the rice concoction to a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 piece of lemon and sprinkle with basil and parsley.
14) Top with the shrimp and serve.
*** Serve with crusty warm bread and Prosecco or Cava.