Saffron, garlic shrimp pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
2019-04-23-17-56-32-jpg.23902

This is my recipe and the recipe I am writing is with the revisions I will be making next time we have it.

2 servings
1 pound 20-25 shrimp, shell on
1 cup onion, chopped
5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin + extra for shrimp
2 tsp smoked paprika + extra for shrimp
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup white wine
4 oz baby spinach or Swiss chard
1/2 pound spaghetti rigatti or linguine

Remove shells and tails from shrimp, place shells and tails in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove veins from shrimp.

Season shrimp with a large pinch of cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, toss to distribute evenly and set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta per directions on package.

Pour about 1/4 cup of shrimp stock into a small bowl and add saffron threads. Set aside.

Pour about 1/4 cup olive oil in skillet over medium high heat, add onions, lower to medium and cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic, cumin and paprika, and cook for about a minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil, add saffron mixture and about an additional 1/4 cup shrimp stock. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted and shrimp is almost done. Add pasta and stir to soak up liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.

2019-04-23-17-56-32-jpg.23902

Remove shells and tails from shrimp, place shells and tails in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove veins from shrimp.

Season shrimp with a large pinch of cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, toss to distribute evenly and set aside.

Sounds delish and looks delish, I want to try it! But...

15 -20 minutes? Do they go back to being tender with the length of cooking? I've never cooked shrimp more than 3 minutes or so in any various ways.

Sounds delish and looks delish, I want to try it! But...

15 -20 minutes? Do they go back to being tender with the length of cooking? I've never cooked shrimp more than 3 minutes or so in any various ways.

That's for the tails and shells for stock.

"Remove shells and tails from shrimp, place shells and tails in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes."

The shrimp only get cooked for 2-4 minutes as noted toward the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom