Salmon Burgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also make salmon with a simple white or cheesy Alfredo type of sauce and serve it over drained spinach. The spinach makes a great compliment to the salmon.

Last edited:
It's just something I threw together once, and liked the combo so much that I often make it.

I get the full size cans of salmon in our commodity box often, so I use half for patties and the other half with the white sauce and spinach.

I got two cans this month, so I'll be making these soon.

I know you can eat the bones but I'm afraid too. Won't eat them in sardines either.

I always buy unflavored bread crumbs. If I want seasoning I can always add it myself. Sometimes I make desserts that call for some bread crumbs and seasoning would not work!

My salmon burgers didn't taste half as good as my mother's but I think it's just the memory of my mother's cooking that I can never duplicate. I wish she would have stuck around. She could move in with us and do the cooking to pay her room and board! LOL

In Andy's defense, I found a recipe online for Salmon Loaf. It doesn't look appetizing at all, and doesn't look anything like my salmon burgers. For one thing, it calls for 2 cups of bread crumbs, while my recipe only had 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs with the same amount of salmon. Sounds like this salmon loaf would taste more like stuffing.

Basic Best Salmon Loaf Recipe | Healthy Recipes from BumbleBee
Much as I like salmon I don't go for the stuff in tins although I keep a couple of tins in the cupboard for "emergencies". This salmon loaf recipe doesn't appeal at all but I'll keep the salmon burger recipe with the tins in case.

I know you can eat the bones but I'm afraid too. Won't eat them in sardines either.

I always buy unflavored bread crumbs. If I want seasoning I can always add it myself. Sometimes I make desserts that call for some bread crumbs and seasoning would not work!

My salmon burgers didn't taste half as good as my mother's but I think it's just the memory of my mother's cooking that I can never duplicate. I wish she would have stuck around. She could move in with us and do the cooking to pay her room and board! LOL
The bones are rendered very soft by the canning process and don't get stuck. In fact they mash into the flesh. They don't taste of anything very much (they taste of the salmon) and they are good for you as they count towards your calcium intake which may be good if you don't get much weight-bearing exercise or have a balanced diet or are on long-term proton pump inhibitors (for GERD, reflux, etc)

My mother used to make creamed salmon and peas over mashed potatoes. A favorite of mine. She would pick out all the skin, but mash the bones. It also used to be a tradition that this dish was always made on July 4th. I have no idea why. She also made creamed salted cod fish.

I have often wondered how out mothers would have prepared a favorite dish of ours if they had all the conveniences we now have. Would my mother have picked out all those bones and whizzed them in the small FP instead of mashing them by hand with her favorite kitchen fork? How many of our foods would have been made out on the grill. Salmon cakes grilled? Now that sounds interesting. :angel:

The little round bones in my salmon were hard. I never thought of putting them in a FP so I could mix them back in with the salmon. One time I bought a can of salmon that was already skinned and deboned. They did everything but eat it for me. LOL I think they would definately fall through the grates of a grill.

The little round bones in my salmon were hard. I never thought of putting them in a FP so I could mix them back in with the salmon. One time I bought a can of salmon that was already skinned and deboned. They did everything but eat it for me. LOL I think they would definately fall through the grates of a grill.

I was thinking of putting them on a basket for veggies. :angel:

There are lots of cool accessories for grills for different kinds of foods: https://www.google.com/search?q=grill+accessories+basket

Much as I like salmon I don't go for the stuff in tins although I keep a couple of tins in the cupboard for "emergencies". This salmon loaf recipe doesn't appeal at all but I'll keep the salmon burger recipe with the tins in case.

This is a nice way to use up one of those cans of salmon that has been shuffled around in the cupboard for a year or so! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

New England Salmon Pie Recipe | Taste of Home

This is a nice way to use up one of those cans of salmon that has been shuffled around in the cupboard for a year or so! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

New England Salmon Pie Recipe | Taste of Home
According to my 1980-something "GH Cookery" tinned fish in oil is good for 5 years. One of my Elizabeth David books suggests turning the tins over periodically. So I do.

I don't allow my tins to become museum pieces but I like to have something in to give unexpected visitors even if it's only a tinned salmon and cucumber sandwich or a quiche thrown together with a pre-baked pastry case and a tin of salmon and frozen peas in the filling.

With the bones in the cans of salmon, you can pick them out and run them through your small food processor with a little liquid from the can. If you don't have one, use your blender. Your bones will thank you.

My mother always made us cream salmon and peas over mashed potatoes. She would pick out the bones and mash them with a fork before she returned them to the salmon. No FP's in those days. My father loved pepper and would load his plate up with it. I on the other hand only like a little bit. :angel:

I love pickled herring (not in cream sauce) but the bones and skin have to go!;)

I love pickled herring (not in cream sauce) but the bones and skin have to go!;)

My landlady lived on the second floor. She loved sauteed herring dipped in egg and breadcrumbs. But she hated to clean them. So she would buy a big bag of them and I would gut them and remove the bone. The rest of her family hated them, so they got a totally different supper from hers. :angel:

I eat salmon and/or tuna 3 times a week...I'm running out of ideas for them.
I think salmon must be one of those things there are endless ways to cook. Tonight I had an almond granola crusted salmon, that starts out in an oven safe fry pan on the stove. When the crust is nicely browned, it gets turned and the pan with the salmon goes in oven to finish cooking. The citrus soy & honey drizzle is a yummy finish. Here's tonight's dinner. And below the photo is also a link to the recipe. It's a Kashi recipe, but I use another crunchy granola with alimonds, usually adding a little more sliced almonds.

Roasted Almond Salmon with Citrus-Soy Herb Spritz Recipe

Back
Top Bottom