"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, don't ya be listenin' to the old blow hard. yes, those mere 10 ways are proper and fine ways of preparin salmon, but you asked a simpler question and the ol' north "wind" starts to blow!

just take a good pinch of dill, a good pinch of dried basil, and work it into 2 or 3 tbsp of butter. make smaller chunks and dot the filet with the herb butter, reserving a chunk. turn on broiler to heat, then sear the filet, skin side down (it's not really a filet if it has skin, but whatever.) in a mix of evoo and the reserved herb butter. place under broiler for 5 minutes, more or less depending on how you like yours done. i like mine mooing.

(you've nevger fished for jersey salmon, have you?)
What's nevger? I can't seem to find it in Webster's, or any other dictionary. Is that word specific to Joisey? I mean, I know you drink that strange water over there, and have probably had a few too many shellfish at red-tide season. But still...

Maybe Bucky has a speech impediment. He probably glued his tongue to the roof of his mouth. And ya know, when you live in a place where the mercury drops below freezing, most boys, at some time or another, touch their tongues to something metal and get stuck there for a short while, until someone comes out to resuce them with a glass of hot water to warm the metal/tounge junction. But when B.T. did it, his mother exclaimed; "Wow. Our fortune has just changed to the better. Let's leave him there for a while. It'll be quiet in the house for the first time in seven years. Oh happy day, oh happy day."

When I did it, I knew what could happen, so I didn't freeze my tongue to a steel or iron pole. I did it on a mailbox. The trick was to remove your tongue before it froze. Sometimes, the metal was just too cold and you froze to it no matter how fast you were. So I limited myself to mailboxes. That way, if I got stuck, I'd just remove my mittens, open the mailbox, and warm the thin metal with my hands until my tongue release from its icy prison.

Poor Bucky has been mispronouncing words for years now, and it shows up every now and again in his spelling.

My mistakes are due to inaccurte finger placements on the keys.

His recipe is sound enough though. It will make good salmon. But that's it, the whole of his salmon cooking experience. He's like that. You have to carefully guide him to other recipes and techniques, like a small child. After all, he has the IQ of a dachsund.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean View Post
I just tried a salmon fillet "en papillot", and it was delicious! Salmon filet with butter, lemon, salt, pepper, fresh dill from the garden, pepper flakes, a bit of olive oil on the bottom, wrapped up in kitchen parchment paper. In the oven for 20 mins at 375 and everything's steamed and buttery.

Now, wait a minute, this does look beautiful, but the only thing, the fish has not been cooked. The fish is raw! It has not been cooked. That is why it is such a bright red color.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
After all, he has the IQ of a dachsund.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
OH NOZE - you insulted ma babeee And NO, she did not learn this pose from me!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Hey Elf, I'm thinkin' your babeee might need to do a couple of extra minutes on the treadmill this week.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Now, wait a minute, this does look beautiful, but the only thing, the fish has not been cooked. The fish is raw! It has not been cooked. That is why it is such a bright red color.
You're right! That picture was taken before the thing was sealed and put in the oven. I didn't take a picture of it after because...well...because we were drinking wine and I'm a cheap date and by the time 20 minutes had gone by I'd forgotten about taking a post-cooking picture.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
OH NOZE - you insulted ma babeee And NO, she did not learn this pose from me!

OMG how much alcohol did you give this poor thing?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
Executive Chef

LOL - that mutt needs a belly rub. How can you not just walk by and give that tummy a little smack?

Anyway, I like grilled salmon. But JillyBean's dish looks awesome. I would definately try that.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks alot guys! You really are a great help!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Would adding some balsamic vinegar increase the flavor of salmon when frying? And do you add the balsamic vinegar generally at the beginning or at the end of the cooking process?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Head Chef

One very quick trick that I use with salmon filets is to coat it with mayonaise, add pepper, and grill. I think that mayonaise was originally a sauce used in french cooking. Turn once, and garnish with grilled lemon

Tags
None