Salmon fillet. How should I cook it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One very quick trick that I use with salmon filets is to coat it with mayonaise, add pepper, and grill. I think that mayonnaise was originally a sauce used in french cooking. Turn once, and garnish with grilled lemon

sorta the same thing here, only put Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice in the manonnaise, then coat fish. have done both in oven and on bbq. wrap in foil in either case. that is so it doesn't dry out.

babe:chef:

If it's a true balsamic vinegar, it will be too sweet for the fish. The good stuff is aged for a very long time in oak barrels (I think it's oak) and is very syrupy and more sweet than vinagery. It's not much used in cooking, but rather is used as a condiment.

In any case, a more acidic vinegar can tighten up the meat protien, and at least partially "cooking" the fish. Fish cooked with vinegar is common in Phillipino cuisine.

There are a number of balsamic vinegars out there that are thin and that have overtones of wine or grape. They are great to use for cooking, or making salad dressings.

And for the record, there are a good number of people that believe salt water fish is parasite free and can be eaten raw, while fresh water fish contains parasites. While fresh water fish can have harmful and dangerous parasites in them, including taperworm, so can saltwater fish. Restaurants ensure the safety of their patrons by freezing the fish to about -15 degrees F. for many hours (I.C., could use your help here as I don't know the timing for this), which kills any parasites residing in the fish.

Just sharing info.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Restaurants ensure the safety of their patrons by freezing the fish to about -15 degrees F. for many hours (I.C., could use your help here as I don't know the timing for this), which kills any parasites residing in the fish.

I've put in a good number of years working in seafood restaurants (front of the house) and I've never heard of this practice. In fact the restaurants I worked in always claimed to be serving fresh fish, which it seems to me they couldn't do if the fish had been frozen.

Russ

I agree with you on this one. I hope that any restaurant serving frozen fish would not call it fresh. Also, I am not sure that parasites, etc, would not simply go dormant with freezing. IMO, only heat will kill parasites.

When I clicked on the link, it went into another part of DC. So I copied the link address up in the address bar, first removing everything from www on. The link comes up as a PDF file and states that by law, fish used for Sashimi must be frozen to -20 dgrees F. for 24 hours, and that documentation must be provided at every step of the sale process, except to the final consumer.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I now that I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but you can blacken salmon. Salt and pepper, then grill the salmon. I've even hot-smoked salmon. If you have a lot of salmon scraps, you can poach the salmon in a well-seasoned court-bouillion, let it cool, crumble it, and make it into mayo-based mixture for salmon patties (I'll post that recipe if you want). Dust with Chinese 5-spice powder, pan-sear, and finish in the oven.

If you like Hollandaise sauce, this is perfect for it. So is a compound butter that includes orange juice and/or lemon juice.

Back
Top Bottom