"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Salmon fillet. How should I cook it?

Hello everyone! I just got back from the store with a beautiful salmon fillet. I'm indecisive on how I should cook it, so, you decide. Does anybody have any good suggestions on how I should cook it? Thanks! I await your suggestions...

Old 06-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You can do a mixture of seeded mustard or just Dijon, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Spread on top and grill that side first then the other.

OR, you can even add some rye or bourbon to that mixture and do the same thing.

Or, you can make a poaching liquid with white wine and some fresh herbs/spices - garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, parsley, jalapeño or habanero peppers too if you like "heat".

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Cook

I just tried a salmon fillet "en papillot", and it was delicious! Salmon filet with butter, lemon, salt, pepper, fresh dill from the garden, pepper flakes, a bit of olive oil on the bottom, wrapped up in kitchen parchment paper. In the oven for 20 mins at 375 and everything's steamed and buttery.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean View Post
I just tried a salmon fillet "en papillot", and it was delicious! Salmon filet with butter, lemon, salt, pepper, fresh dill from the garden, pepper flakes, a bit of olive oil on the bottom, wrapped up in kitchen parchment paper. In the oven for 20 mins at 375 and everything's steamed and buttery.

Oh my gosh, Jilly, that looks wonderful!! I haven't eaten fish in years but I need to start now and salmon is really good for you. Could this be done without the butter? I can't have butter but olive oil is fine. Could I just increase the olive oil? Really, truly, that looks delicious to me and I don't like fish!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Wow, I feel like I got caught smoking in the bathroom (again)!!! OK, I guess I'll start eating my fish. (But I'm never eating peas or liver.)
Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

One of my favorites is to make a small mixture of flour a little corn meal a little bit of salt and pepper a pinch of thyme, garlic powder and some parsley flakes. Press both sides of salmon in flour mix then heat some olive oil and saute both sides. You should end up with a little crust on both sides then eat with some fresh squeezed lemon. Yummy.
If you make extra it's really good cold all by it's self or in a salad with your favorite dressing.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Ooh... That looks wonderful. I may end up trying that. I think I also need to try jpmcgrew's idea. That would taste splendid. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
Master Chef

Oh man, so many choices. Tpo 10.

1.Dredge in flour and pan fry in a couple inches of hot sunflower oil until lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt and serve with baked sweet potatoes.

2. Place on a stell rack, on top of a jelly-roll sheet, and drizzle with melted butter of EVOO. Sprinkle a bit of Itallian bread crumbs, and a bit of parmesan chees over the top and broil 3 inches under the heat until done.

3. Place on a rased rack, with rosemary sprigs and applewood shavings underneath, all in a stovetop smoker. Drizzle a touch of lemon juice on top and place on stovetop, over medium heat for about 40 minutes. Lightly salt and serve with fresh, rustic bread.

4. Throw that beautiful fish on the grill, over hardwood charcoal, with chunks of alder to provide smoke. Cook until done.

5. Pan fry in just a bit of butter, slighly salt and pepper, and then cut into cubes. Toss lightly into a red-leaf, or other leafy lettuce salad. Drizzle with some good balsamic vinager.

6. Poach in a mixture of milk and tarrgon & garlic, with butter. Serve with a bechemel flavored with butter and lemon.

7. Mince the raw salmon and combine with 1 large egg, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 onioin minced, 1/2 red bell pepper, minced, 1/2 tsp. tarragon, salt and pepper, and 1/2 tsp. cayene pepper. Form into thin patties and dredge in panko bread crumbs. Lightly fry in hot oil until just browned.

8. Place onto a parchemnt paper lined jelly-roll pan, sprinkle with salt, garlic, and paprikka. Bake at 400' F. for 20 minutes. Serve with oven fried potatoes.

9. Place in a foil pouch with sliced pottatoes, coarse-chopped onion, and sliced carrot. Seal and bake for thirty minutes, or until the veggies are soft, but with a light crunch.

10. Put it in a cast-iron pan with a bit of bacon fat and fry over a camp fire. Serve with fried potato slices.

If you can't get inspiration from that list... And I haven't even wandered into the soup, stew, and chowder fields yet, or the ice cream.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, don't ya be listenin' to the old blow hard. yes, those mere 10 ways are proper and fine ways of preparin salmon, but you asked a simpler question and the ol' north "wind" starts to blow!

just take a good pinch of dill, a good pinch of dried basil, and work it into 2 or 3 tbsp of butter. make smaller chunks and dot the filet with the herb butter, reserving a chunk. turn on broiler to heat, then sear the filet, skin side down (it's not really a filet if it has skin, but whatever.) in a mix of evoo and the reserved herb butter. place under broiler for 5 minutes, more or less depending on how you like yours done. i like mine mooing.

(you've nevger fished for jersey salmon, have you?)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
Head Chef

Well, i'm even simpler than you BT;), I lightly flour the fillet, and season, pan fry in a knob of butter, till the skin is golden, crispy and the salmon is starting to show that its cooked by going opaque to about half way up the sides, then I turn the fillet, put a lid on my fying pan and turn the heat off while i go and lay the table or throw a salad or some lightly cooked vegetables together.

this method has never failed me, whether serving the salmon plain to be dressed at the table, or not, or with a sauce. it is cooked perfectly with that lovely just pinkness in the middle.

Salmon is the only fish I cook really well :(

Tags
None