Salmon...help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
Evertime I make salmon I always try to get the crunchy crust on it as I get in restaurants and I tought I would get it by searing it in a pan on high heat in some olive oil......nope....it got a little color but no crust! what am I doing wrong??:wacko::wacko:

No clue. I've never had a crust on mine. I'd suspect the salmon is coated with something before searing though. A glaze of some type.

Well I know its just the salmon meat and no actual coating is on it but the outside is always real golden and crunchy!

What have you got in your pan when you are searing it? My vague recollection is that cooking in butter helps to give that texture.

Also I did dip it in lemon juice, olive oil and salt/pepper before placing it in the pan...could that be my problem? that I put lemon juice on it first?

When I cook Salmon, I use a grill pan. Sautee LOTS of butter and LOTS of chopped garlic (or pressed garlic) and almost rub it on the salmon...LOTS. Cook each side long enough till ready. Nice and crunchy if done right.

hmmmm I'll try that next time wich will probably be this week since I just found out my little one LOVES salmon!! :)

Uh - unless there's something dry & crunchy on the fish, you ain't going to get anything even remotely resembling a "crunch". And frankly, I've never had "crunchy" salmon in a restaurant, so don't have a clue what you're talking about.

That said, all I can advise is to roll your salmon in some seasoned flour before sauteeing. You won't get a "crunchy" coating, but you'll get a somewhat crispy exterior.

oh there is no skin they were just filets I bought ...steaks are the ones that usually have the skin on right?

you can get skin on fillets too. That super crispy topping is the fried skin. You season the skin and fry that face first. I think this is true I have never had success with a "searing" skinless piece of salmon... I always end up sort of frying it.

I have very mixed results with fish... sometimes its great sometimes its dreadful... sometimes its the fish but sometimes its me :)

When I cook salmon filets (skinless), I rub it liberally with Cajun seasoning, then cook it in a very hot cast iron frying pan in a mixture of half butter, half corn oil. I DO get a nice crunchy crust, and the challenge is not to overcook it, because it cooks very fast. Can't really include garlic because it would burn in the high heat.

You may consider getting that crunch from a different place than the cooking method Dee. I know I've seen a ton of great recipes for crusted salmon, my favorite is wasabi pea crusted salmon. The wasabi flavor isn't too much at all and it adds a very nice asain flavor. I always broil my salmon, dry italian bread crumbs may work for you as well.

deelady, start with dry fish. Add the lemon after cooking. Get the pan hot and add the oil and heat that up. Use a generous amount of oil.

Don't cook it super fast like pan searing a steak. Let it sizzle in the oil for a while and it will get crispy and brown.

deelady, start with dry fish. Add the lemon after cooking. Get the pan hot and add the oil and heat that up. Use a generous amount of oil.

Don't cook it super fast like pan searing a steak. Let it sizzle in the oil for a while and it will get crispy and brown.

Andy's got it right for the home cook, Deelady. In the restaurant, you may be experiencing the effects of the salamander crisping the outer layer of the fish. A good broiler can reproduce this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom