"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Master Chef

They turned out great, y'all! I made them as planned, except I gave the mix a good shot of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Once I patted out the patties, I dusted them generously with paprika and put in the fridge to chill.

We had a couple of leftover baked potatoes, and Kim cut them into wedges and fried those up in a little olive oil, then he fried the patties. It was yummy. I ate mine with catsup.

Robo, I love the idea of serving them with Welsh Rarebit. I can imagine how elegant the salmon would look after being cooked in a fish mold.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

Mine are simple......canned salmon (pick out the bones/skin), bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add celery. I also serve it with lemon as an option to squeeze on.

I just wished they'd can the stuff so that you didn't have to pick out the bones and skin.....thats a pretty gross process.

I grew up with these as being a special treat. We only had them if dad was going to be away for the day, as he couldn't stand the smell of them.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
Master Chef

My mom always made salmon loaf, & I loved it!! She used pretty much a basic meatloaf recipe, but minus the egg, & substituting canned salmon for the meat, & adding chopped green olives &/or capers to the mix. It was either served hot or cold, with a seasoned mayonnaise on the side.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Oh I adore salmon patties/croquettes. Sorry I missed the party, Connie.

Breezy beat me to the punch , wanted to mention a salmon loaf recipe with a white sauce. Haven't made it in a while. You can also use tuna. Will go thru my recipes, if you'd like to give it a go next time.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
Master Chef

I use a basic recipe learned from my Dad, and modified of course to make it my own.

Ingredients:
1 can salmon with bones and skin (bones are a great source of quality calcium, and I love the soft crunch)
1 large egg
1/2 cup crushed Ritz or Townhouse crackers
1/2 tsp or so black pepper
1/2 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 to 3 drops Mesquite Flavored Liquid Smoke
1/2 tsp taragon.

Mix together and fry in a lightly oiled cast-iron, or stick-free skillet. Serve with tartar sauce, or ketchup, and a bit of prepared yellow mustard. Hash browns are a great side. These salmon patties are also great between a couple slices of whole wheat or pumpernicle bread.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #16
Master Chef

Breezy and Mish, I'd love to have your salmon loaf recipes.

Weed, I'm like you...I like the bones and the skin. But I picked the bones out so my husband would eat it. I mooshed the skin up with the rest of the salmon, because it has a lot of flavor, and he never noticed.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I usually make them with tuna rather than salmon, ive tried salmon a few tiems but i find the tuna taste much better
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'll try tuna sometime...we like that too.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Salmon bones and skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Mine are simple......canned salmon (pick out the bones/skin), bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add celery. I also serve it with lemon as an option to squeeze on.

I just wished they'd can the stuff so that you didn't have to pick out the bones and skin.....thats a pretty gross process.

I grew up with these as being a special treat. We only had them if dad was going to be away for the day, as he couldn't stand the smell of them.
Do use the bones and skin....mash them up along with the salmon. Very healthy!!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #20
Executive Chef

some of these old recipes (or old types of recipes using common products) are so satisfying ... a link with family, history, culture... and still dang tasty!!

before air transport and modern refridgeration the fish was caught cleaned portioned canned and shipped ..or up north it was salted and dried (cod) salt cod recipes are still so wonderful!

Tags
None