Salmon Patties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I love them, but haven't made any for 20 years. Tonight's the night.

I thought I'd use Ritz Crackers, egg, Mayo, mustard, lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper.

Any suggestions?

My wife makes them with canned salmon. She adds cayenne or curry powder.

I make mine with smoked cod and use mashed potato as the binder with some herbs and such. They are fantastic when served with an anchovy, parsley and lemon juice sauce.

I make them all the time. I use canned salmon, diced onions & bell pepper, salt, pepper, cayenne, dill, dijon mustard, lemon juice and egg. If I need more of a binder, I puree some white beans and add them.

I grill them like a burger on my cast iron skillet.

grew up on salmon cakes or salmon loaf ... our secret recipe was/still is canned salmon with juices, cracker meal or bread crumbs (either fresh made...much tenderer that way) herbs (chives dill weed parsley tblspn each) 2 eggs beaten, melted butter, about half a stick (used to greese the pan also) fry covered or bake in a water bath in the fish mold. serve with welsh rarebit ... comfort food for sure

mine are salmon, seasoned Italian bread crumbs, eggs, onion dices, etc., in my mixer with ingredients to loosen my mixture. then i crumb-coat 'em & panfry them.

They turned out great, y'all! I made them as planned, except I gave the mix a good shot of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Once I patted out the patties, I dusted them generously with paprika and put in the fridge to chill.

We had a couple of leftover baked potatoes, and Kim cut them into wedges and fried those up in a little olive oil, then he fried the patties. It was yummy. I ate mine with catsup.

Robo, I love the idea of serving them with Welsh Rarebit. I can imagine how elegant the salmon would look after being cooked in a fish mold.

Last edited:
Mine are simple......canned salmon (pick out the bones/skin), bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add celery. I also serve it with lemon as an option to squeeze on.

I just wished they'd can the stuff so that you didn't have to pick out the bones and skin.....thats a pretty gross process.

I grew up with these as being a special treat. We only had them if dad was going to be away for the day, as he couldn't stand the smell of them.

My mom always made salmon loaf, & I loved it!! She used pretty much a basic meatloaf recipe, but minus the egg, & substituting canned salmon for the meat, & adding chopped green olives &/or capers to the mix. It was either served hot or cold, with a seasoned mayonnaise on the side.

Oh I adore salmon patties/croquettes. Sorry I missed the party, Connie.

Breezy beat me to the punch :LOL: , wanted to mention a salmon loaf recipe with a white sauce. Haven't made it in a while. You can also use tuna. Will go thru my recipes, if you'd like to give it a go next time. :)

I use a basic recipe learned from my Dad, and modified of course to make it my own.

Ingredients:
1 can salmon with bones and skin (bones are a great source of quality calcium, and I love the soft crunch)
1 large egg
1/2 cup crushed Ritz or Townhouse crackers
1/2 tsp or so black pepper
1/2 onion, diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 to 3 drops Mesquite Flavored Liquid Smoke
1/2 tsp taragon.

Mix together and fry in a lightly oiled cast-iron, or stick-free skillet. Serve with tartar sauce, or ketchup, and a bit of prepared yellow mustard. Hash browns are a great side. These salmon patties are also great between a couple slices of whole wheat or pumpernicle bread.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Breezy and Mish, I'd love to have your salmon loaf recipes.

Weed, I'm like you...I like the bones and the skin. But I picked the bones out so my husband would eat it. I mooshed the skin up with the rest of the salmon, because it has a lot of flavor, and he never noticed.

I usually make them with tuna rather than salmon, ive tried salmon a few tiems but i find the tuna taste much better

Salmon bones and skin

SizzlininIN said:
Mine are simple......canned salmon (pick out the bones/skin), bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add celery. I also serve it with lemon as an option to squeeze on.

I just wished they'd can the stuff so that you didn't have to pick out the bones and skin.....thats a pretty gross process.

I grew up with these as being a special treat. We only had them if dad was going to be away for the day, as he couldn't stand the smell of them.

Do use the bones and skin....mash them up along with the salmon. Very healthy!!!!

some of these old recipes (or old types of recipes using common products) are so satisfying ... a link with family, history, culture... and still dang tasty!!

before air transport and modern refridgeration the fish was caught cleaned portioned canned and shipped ..or up north it was salted and dried (cod) salt cod recipes are still so wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom