"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef
With fish such as salmon, halibut, etc. don't get carried away with using a lot herbs, spices or junk, otherwise you might as well be cooking tilapia, which has no flavor anyway, and is easier on the budget.

Keep it simple:
Pan frying WITH the skin, salt and pepper;
Broiling (salt, pepper and lemon, or a tomato salsa);
Oven baking, as you have mentioned, with some lemon or lime wedges, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli;
Broil with a very mild and thin soy-honey glaze.

Simple diversity without anything overwhelming or detracting from the flavor of the salmon.

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Head Chef
Smoke it ! Yum.

Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
For variety when planking salmon try apple or cherry wood. There are other possibilities, too
Traveling Chef Paul Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Head Chef
Bake it (or semi poach it) with lemon, dill, garlic and white wine.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
bbq a huge hunk, paint with mixture of mayo, Worcestershire sauce a little soy sauce. wrap whole thing in foil and bbq it. i am guessing twenty min. the check it. yummy. opps forgot the lemon. put juice of several lemons before covering it.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Salmon Mousse is always good and gives good results for little effort.

Here's what I'm noodling around with at the minute, but it needs some more work before I'll be happy with it. However you really do need to use best quality ingredients for this recipe to work properly.

250g Smoked Salmon.
1 cup double cream
200g cream cheese
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Tablespoon of brandy
1 Table spoon of fennel herb (dill or chives could be substituted)
Salt and pepper toi taste
3 egg whites

1) Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
2) In a food processor blend the rest of the ingredients together until they for a smooth paste.
3) Fold the egg whites into the paste to form a mousse. Make sure all the eggwhite is incorporated and no white is showing.
4) Pour into a plastic wrap lined mould and set in the fridge.

I am very happy with the flavour and texture, but not so happy with how it sets. As it is it has to be used very shortly after being made to be at its best.

I'm experimenting with using agar, gelatine or cooking in a bain marie to get the mousse to set to how I want it to.
jpaulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
When we were in Alaska at the Orca Lodge, they grilled salmon with "orca sauce". Don't know the proper proportions but it was butter,soy,lemon,brown sugar in a marinade for a half hour and baste with the same mixture (separated from the other), one for marinade and one for basting toward's the end of the cookin'.
I tried this with some luck....
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
It was fantastic! (if you don't burn it ala blackened, sugar burns quickly!)
61Grampyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
This is a fantastic, albeit difficult recipe.
Another Pacific Northwest recipe comes from tribal traditions. Salmon on a Stick. Tribal peoples will carve sticks from ironwood, about 1/2" wide by 2' - 3' long. (Possibly one of those wire salmon "cages" for campfires would work). Then, using skin on 4 oz salmon fillets (preferably King [Chinook] Salmon) run the stick tightly along the skin side of the fillet to skewer the fillet onto the stick. Next, set the stick at roughly a 70 - 80 angle over alder wood coals and slowly cook for approximately 1 hour. Turn the stick several times during the cooking process so that the skin side and the flesh side each have time towards the coals. Maintain the coalbed by adding more small alder firewood during the process. The end result is wonderfully cooked, lightly smoked, roasted salmon. The fat from the salmon (which is one of the highest fat fish [ie flavor]) remains largly in the fish. It is stupedous if you can pull it off. I'll offer 3 seasoning profiles. 1) S&P 2) a mixture of salt, pepper, granulated garlic, dry orange peel, dry basil, touch of sugar, paprika 3) Johnny's Seasoning

live, learn, laugh
theages is offline   Reply With Quote