"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Head Chef

Wonderful recipe Margi, you have reminded me how much I LOVE salmon with champagne sauce, I must do it again soon.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen: You Have Been Thanked Too

Good Morning G.Q.,

Thanks for the lovely compliment and we hope that you enjoy this dish as much as we have ...

We also have tried it with Sea Bass, Prawns and Cod Fish, however, the fresh wild Norwegian Salmon is just " divino " ... I also truly like the simplicity of this dish, it is elegant and easy to prepare for two for candlelight dinner or when we have the Gals & their hubbies about.

Have lovely wkend.
Margi.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Wonderful recipe Margi - & what PERFECT timing. Excellent fresh Copper River Salmon will be hitting the markets very soon, & I have 2 pints of homemade clam broth/stock in the freezer & several bottles of Freixenet Brut in the cellar.

Can't wait to try this! :)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Executive Chef

@ Bacardi: Salmon with Cava

Good Afternoon Bacardi,

Cava shall work marvelously with this salmon recipe.

Cava is produced in Sant Sadurní d´ Anoia, 35km from the city of Barcelona, in Catalonia.

However, Freixenet also has a line of sparkling wines produced in Sonoma, California.

If you are ever in Sonoma Valley, it would be a fabulous experience to visit their Winery and do a sampling. One can also, purchase Cava directly. They also have Cata Courses, which translates to Wine Tasting Courses. See their website.

Of course, Cava is alot cheaper than French Champagne. I have made it with both, and I have also made Cod fish in Cava too ... Nice ...

The key differences are: Cava is produced from indigenious white grape varieties and Chardonnay in Barcelona.

French Champagne is only produced in France predominately from red grapes.

The process is more or less quite similar and dates back to the mid 1850s, 1860s, when Barcelona first had begun production. Juve y Camps is one of the oldest and finest.

By the way, where is Copper River ? Sounds far west !

Enjoy the dish, which I am sure you shall and so shall your special guest !

Have a nice Monday.
Margi.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Senior Cook

The Copper River is in Alaska ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_River_(Alaska) ), & the salmon that run there are considered the creme de la creme of salmon nationwide. And I must say I agree. The extremely deep orange - almost blood-red - color & full, rich flavor are unsurpassed. And we eat a LOT of wild salmon. Unfortunately, as with many extremely good things, the Copper River salmon are only available fresh during a relatively short period in the spring - mid-May through end of June. Hasn't hit the markets around here yet, but should soon. On the expensive side ($25/lb.), but worth a splurge at least once during its brief season.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Bacardi 1,

Oh thanks so much. I am a real history and geography buff ... Alaska, yes ... good salmon ... Many many years ago, I was in Haines River ... I grew up in Vancouver City even though I am not Canadian, my Mom had immigrated from Basel, Switzerland to Vancouver, and my Italian Paternal family to Manhattan in the 1920s ...

Thanks for posting the info on Copper River, Alaska ... Do you live in Alaska ?

I am sure it is worth $ 25 lb. ...
I have had Alaskan Red Salmon Sashimi and it was to die for !

I like Fresh salmon called: King Salmon, Sockeye,
Red, and any other names they wish to use for marketing ---

Also King George on the Atlantic side of Canada is very delicious too ...

I love fresh wild Alaskan Salmon and Norwegian salmon too, it is going for 8.95 Euros a kilo this week ...

Margi.

Kind regards.
Margi.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Bacardi 1,

Do you live in Alaska ?

Kind regards.
Margi.
No, I live in Northern Virginia, but luckily we do have several markets that carry excellent-quality fresh seafood.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Bacardi,

Have long time old old friends who live in Viriginia ... Old Town Alexandria, Virginia Beach and met some French speaking people from Fredericksburg when we were over in Lisbon, Portugal for a wkend.

Have nice evening.
Margi.

Tags
salmon, wine