Sardines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ayrton said:
Well, they come off with the beheading ritual anyways, although for fun, tell her first to tug on one of them: they're like marionette strings, and each one has a function. Have her find the one that makes the tail swish left and right ...

I have a feeling that if he did that either Andy M or I would find him on our doorstep with hobo pack in hand! :-p

jennyema said:
I was the only one to eat the herring for breakfast (it was delicious) but I was not allowed to sit at the same table as my colleagues. I couldn't be where any of them could see me.

Youth is wasted on young people ... and the joys of travelling can be wasted on those who actually have to (get to) do it. Eight different kinds and they wouldn't even try one?!

Herring in sour cream is ... heaven. I have to traipse into the belly of the city to a little Polish market to get this, and even then, only around Christmas-time.

Since we're on a herring tangent: how about kippered herring? Who does those? I eat 'em on buttered toast, but for a real treat (I know this should go into the weird combos thread for some of you) try kippers on buttered toasted raisen bread with freshly ground pepper!!!

jennyema said:
I have a feeling that if he did that either Andy M or I would find him on our doorstep with hobo pack in hand! :-p
I would be lucky if she let me have the hobo pack :neutral:

Ayrton, I love kippers. If my parents go to Craster (in Northumberland) in November (my mum's birthday), I make her post me some. Seems bizarre sending smoked fish in the post from Britain to Spain. But they make it here OK at that time of year. They aren't going this year unfortunately... Boo hoo. I bet Ishbel loves kippers too.

I LOVE tinned kipper filets - especially with eggs in the morning. However, when I tried whole smoked kippers, I really had a big problem with all the little bones. Don't know if this was just the way these kippers were processed, or if this is the way they were supposed to be.

You're right Snoops... Arbroath smokies or Manx or Crasters.... YUM!
I didn't know you could get tinned kippers.

Ishbel - perhaps they don't have tinned kippers where you are since the authentic thing is right there!!!

But I do love them. I haven't found them tinned in our local grocers here yet, but my mom sends tins of them to me in her cute little "gourmet" gift packages from NY. I really do like them with eggs in the morning, although "fish & eggs" is something I really picked up from my visit to Bermuda. "Fish (regular fish - not smoked - ) & eggs was part of the regular breakfast menu, & I've adopted it ever since. My usual fresh (as in unsmoked) breakfast fish of choice is cod. I saute it in lots of butter along with the eggs. Heaven + Heart-Attack-On-A-Plate (lots of butter).

Hi BreezyCooking, the trick is to gently try and lift the flesh away from the bones rather than setting to with your cutlery. I agree, though, they're not the easiest thing in the world to eat. Aren't Mums great? Gourmet gift packages from NY sound like a wonderful thing to receive.

Thanks Snoop Puss. Since seafood is a major part of my diet, I did make a valiant effort to gently filet my whole kippers, but they were very beligerant - lol!!! I don't know if it was just the particular fish I bought, but it seemed that the smoking process had sort of "infused" the bones with the flesh. And unfortunately, fresh-smoked kipper bones aren't soft & edible!! LOL!!!

But even with all the extra work, I did enjoy them.

Ayrton said:
Thanks Snoop Puss. Google image search comes through yet again!

GB? The spicy ones that come just with one or two wee little hot peppers are delish! Otherwise I'm with Snoop Puss ... the plainer the better.

Tomato sauce? Would avoid in a can, but if you ever get those fresh sardines, I've got a wicked recipe for them in a tomato sauce. And this from a person who generally hates the combo of fish and tomato ... or thought she did!

Bon apetite, by the way!
If you wouldn't mind posting the recipe Ayrton, we catch them here as well as herring. Would the recipe be the same for both.
We call the images you posted Pilchards and use them only for bait as we do the Herring so wouldn't mind taste testing them.

Well I just cracked the can open and gave them a shot. I am sorry to say that I am not a fan of sardines. I did not hate them, but I certainly did not enjoy them. I took one bite and threw the rest out. My wife proclaimed that she thinks she loves me even a little bit more now LOL.

The tasted too...well...fishy for my taste.

Well at least I know now.

If I ever get my hands on fresh sardines then I will give it another shot.

urmaniac13 said:
di nietnte amico mio, I will post it tomorrow, stay put:)

Mi spiace Seven, it took a little longer than anticipated, but here is the recipe from Cris!! The only thing is, we had this about 6-7 months ago and my memory went a bit awry, contrary to my impression there was no parmigiano involved:ohmy: and also he actually used alici(fresh anchovies... I always confuse these two...), but he said it would be fine with small sardines. The recipe is also traditional, and it is called "alici in tortiera". In spite of my incorrect memory in certain details, I can safely say my memory about this dish being delicious is very, very sound!!:-p

Ingredients (amounts are VERY approximate!)

1kg (a little over 2lbs) of fresh anchovies(alici) or small sardines
200-300g (7-10,5oz) of bread crumbs
a big bunch of fresh flat leaved parsley
4-5 cloves of garlic
EVOO
salt

-clean each and every fish, eliminating the head, tail and bones.
-rinse the fish well under cold running water. Drain well.
-prepare a mixture of finely chopped parsley, finely chopped garlic and bread crumbs.
-oil a oven proof dish well, preferably pyrex. Then arrange one layer of fish (opened, Cris said either skin side up or down doesn't really matter...) at the bottom, then cover the surface evenly with the bread crumb mixture. drizzle evoo over the surface as evenly as possible, and sprinkle a little salt (not much... both alici and sardine are naturally on the salty side).
-repeat this procedure, like lasagne, finishing with the bread crumb mixture and the EVOO on top.
-bake in a preheated oven at 160°C(325°F) for approx. 40minutes, or the topping is golden brown.

Serve hot or warm, also still good the day after, reheated.
Squeeze of lemon juice will also add a nice touch at serving.

Last edited:
Another favourite breakfast fish dish that my husband adores (only high days and holidays though, cos I can't stand cooking fish early in the morning) is finnan haddies with a poached egg on top.

Sorry they weren't a success GB. If you see fresh anchovies, you might like them more than sardines. Definitely worth a try.

Snoop Puss said:
Ayrton, I love kippers. If my parents go to Craster (in Northumberland) in November (my mum's birthday), I make her post me some. Seems bizarre sending smoked fish in the post from Britain to Spain. But they make it here OK at that time of year. They aren't going this year unfortunately... Boo hoo. I bet Ishbel loves kippers too.

Hey Snoop Puss --

You love them? Then try the raisen toast combo, unless the potential of sweet and savory really disgusts you. The kippers and the butter and the raisens and the pepper are HEAVEN in my book!

GB said:
Well I just cracked the can open and gave them a shot. I am sorry to say that I am not a fan of sardines. I did not hate them, but I certainly did not enjoy them. I took one bite and threw the rest out. My wife proclaimed that she thinks she loves me even a little bit more now LOL.

The tasted too...well...fishy for my taste.

Well at least I know now.

I'm sorry too, GB, but I'm not giving up the ghost yet! A couple of suggestions, to be thrown in the trash with the canned sardines if you wish:

-- try another brand, preferably from the Mediterranean area*

-- don't just bite into them as is, instead, add a little bit of sardine to the top of something ... crackers, cukes, cream cheese, cottage cheese ... whatever seems would go AND would lessen the intensity of the flavor.

Or ... just forget it!

* last time in the States I opened a can of tuna at my sister's and was just stunned by the poor quality of the stuff (and this was StarKist fillet) -- nothing "fillet" about it, and sort of a soupy consistency not even fit for the cat. If the world of American-brand canned fish has deteriorated to such an extent across the board, that's my reasoning for trying some from elsewhere ...

GB said:

Yes, don't be discouraged and give them a try, or as Snoop suggested, fresh anchovies. I always hated (and still do) the canned sardines swimming in oil, and anchovy PASTES, so I spent my whole life believing that I hate them in any form. As I said, the fresh ones prepared and cooked well are gorgeous!! No fishy stink, either!! (IF YOUR FISH ARE REALLY FRESH)

I just hope either you or Mrs. GB don't mind the cleaning, they are small and will be many, thus it will be a bit tedious job! (Another reason I love Cris..:-p )

Back
Top Bottom