"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #51
Head Chef

I thought you might have one of the very big cans. I'll eat my hat if you can make a can of sardines last 3-6 days! You'll either love them, in which case you'll scoff them in a trice, or you'll hate them, in which case they'll go straight in the bin.

Personally I'm not a great fan of sardines canned in a spicy sauce or even in tomato sauce. I like them best in olive oil (oil drained off before serving, of course). And I love the tiny ones best of all.

Ayrton, I should have said earlier: ace photos. I just love them little fish.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I had a hard time picking which kind to try first. I probably should have gone with just olive oil to start so I could really taste the flavor, but I lot hot things so I made a quick decision to go with that. I really hope I like these!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Ayrton, I should have said earlier: ace photos. I just love them little fish.
Thanks Snoop Puss. Google image search comes through yet again!

GB? The spicy ones that come just with one or two wee little hot peppers are delish! Otherwise I'm with Snoop Puss ... the plainer the better.

Tomato sauce? Would avoid in a can, but if you ever get those fresh sardines, I've got a wicked recipe for them in a tomato sauce. And this from a person who generally hates the combo of fish and tomato ... or thought she did!

Bon apetite, by the way!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

If I find the fresh ones then I will take you up on that recipe as I feel the same way you do about fish and tomato together.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #55
Master Chef

I am a huge canned fish nut (anchovies, sardines herring, etc) but I really like sardines with mustard or piquant sauce rather than just in oil. Similarly, I prefer herring in sauce, as well. But I almost always eat the sardines on bread, rather than in a recipe.

Geebs, if you open the sardines and refrigerate them, make sure you seal them up really well or you might have to sleep on the couch.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

I might have to sleep on the couch just for bringing them into the house. DW asked why I got them. I told her I was really curious and wanted to try, then I asked her if she would try them. NO WAY she said. Why not? She said she won't eat anything with whiskers. HUH??? The she said, ya know like they used to show on Tom and Jerry. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #57
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I am a huge canned fish nut (anchovies, sardines herring, etc) but I really like sardines with mustard or piquant sauce rather than just in oil. Similarly, I prefer herring in sauce, as well. But I almost always eat the sardines on bread, rather than in a recipe.

Geebs, if you open the sardines and refrigerate them, make sure you seal them up really well or you might have to sleep on the couch.
Marinated herring is a New Years Eve treat for me. I get to eat the whole jar as no one else is willing to even get close to it.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Marinated herring is a New Years Eve treat for me. I get to eat the whole jar as no one else is willing to even get close to it.
I was in Oslo with business colleagues and for breakfast you could have the Norwegian buffet with 8 different kinds of herring, plus cheese, ham, bread, etc or the American buffet with cold breakfast cereal and yogurt.

I was the only one to eat the herring for breakfast (it was delicious) but I was not allowed to sit at the same table as my colleagues. I couldn't be where any of them could see me.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I might have to sleep on the couch just for bringing them into the house. DW asked why I got them. I told her I was really curious and wanted to try, then I asked her if she would try them. NO WAY she said. Why not? She said she won't eat anything with whiskers. HUH??? The she said, ya know like they used to show on Tom and Jerry. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath.
Well, they come off with the beheading ritual anyways, although for fun, tell her first to tug on one of them: they're like marionette strings, and each one has a function. Have her find the one that makes the tail swish left and right ...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #60
Master Chef

Oh me too Andy M.!!!

My husband would rather eat worms & die than eat herring, so I get to enjoy a big jar of herring in sour cream with onions myself for the holidays (or whenever I see them on sale - lol).

Back when I lived in NY, the local fish markets use to have huge trays of whole marinated herring fillets in sour cream & onions for sale around the Xmas holidays. Talk about heaven!!!

Tags
None