Sardines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I admire you for trying them. I have to say I hate them plain out of the tin too (thats whay we always mix them with the cheese and stuff where by they become more than a sum of their parts but something delicious) and I certainly gag at the thought of them in a sauce, but each to their own!

Fresh sardines are very very different! Try them!

On the sumbject of Fresh anchovies....I LOVE THEM! In fact, loving them led my palate to learn to like the prepared anchovies.

Lots of votes for fresh anchovies from the Mediterranean crew, then. They are nicer to eat than sardines and easier to clean as well. You get more of them, weight for weight, so there's a bit more gutting to be done but anchovies have nothing like as many scales as sardines.

I envy all of you in Europe, as you have access to lots of cool seafood that we almost never see. Like fresh anchovies and sardines, as well as cockels, those teeeeeeny shrimp and other neat shellfish.

Personally, I can pass on some of the seafood. I like clams but whelks... even the name puts me off! Plate of rubber anyone?

I know this is an ancient thread but I thought I'd weigh in.

I made fresh sardines for the first time ever last night and it was a revelation. A little sea salt, a little olive oil, throw them close under the broiler for 4 minutes per side, easy-breezy. They came cleaned, easy to eat around the bones, etc.

Delicious, fatty, crispy, pure umami. My new favorite seafood item to cook at home.

Had them with some roasted potatoes and wilted spinach, all seasoned by little other than salt & olive oil.

I would LOVE to find fresh anchovies as I hear they're unbeatable, but it is apparently a very rare find around here. Whole Foods says they've never had them in stock ever. I will try a few asian markets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom