"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer
Question Sardines

I have never had sardines (that I know of), but have seen them mentioned on DC a lot lately. I would really like to try them, but I don't know the first thing about them other than they come in a can. Do you need to prepare them or can you just open the can and pop them right in your mouth? Do they have bones that need to be removed? Give me suggestions. Thanks guys!

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Far as I know you eat them right from the can, no deboning. They are considered an excellent source of calcium. They make me want to gag though. And yet, I love smoked oysters, go figure.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Master Chef
Sardines are my middle name. When I was 10 I thought every little girl ate them for Saturdau lunch!

Anyway, you just open the can and eat them. Bones, skin and all. They have been processed in a way that the bones are soft and just a bit crunchy. You can always pull them out if you want, as the fish itself is "fallin' off the bone" in texture.

I have eaten them from very cheap to $8 a can and can tell youthat the $8 can was very nice, but not nice enough to pay that much again. I get Portugese (speled rong) kinds from Stop and Shop that are nice, and some from Titan Foods in NYC, but otherwise King Oscar and Bumblebee and Roland are all good reliable brands.

They come plain (in oil usually) or in sauce/seasonings. I really like the ones in mustard and the ones in hot sauce with olives and pimentos. For your first sardine tasting, I would probably recommend one with some kind of seasoningthat you like.

I eat mine on good crusty bread if I have it. Crackers and pita work, too. Or you can eat them on their own. I recommend the bread route.

You might want to buy a can and some nice bread and cheese, maybe some pickles or olives and a bottle of wine and have a nice "nibble" type dinner. I do this often.

Let me know what you think.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Head Chef
I mentioned them today. You don't need to take the bones out, but, if I can't get them boned I do take out the back bone, just a personal preference.

I only really like them in the recipe my family call "Catsick" sorry, can't help the name, but then I learned about **** on shingles here today, so I figure this name makes me and the board equal, lol. The taste is a bit like a pizza.

1 tin sardines (I like boned and in olive oil, but anything with do)
some cheddar or cheddar style cheese, grated...to taste
splash of Worcester sauce
good squirt of ketchup

combine and sprad/spoon on to what ever bread/english muffins/crumpets you have to hand and shove under the grill...or USA Broiler till bubbly and golden on top.

They taste excellent, better than you would imagine. American style Pizza really is closest I can get to the description. We have them as a snack or as a side for salad/soup and near the end of the pay month! But we love it.
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Master Chef
GB.....when I was a little girl my dad worked 2nd shift and on Fridays or if I didn't have school the next day I'd wait up for him to get home and we'd sit out in his garage and eat sardines and crackers.........great memories. I haven't had any since and honestly I don't know if I could eat them now.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
Thanks guys. Next time I am at the store I will pick up a can. I can't wait to try something new.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have always enjoyed canned sardines. I prefer them canned in olive oil. They were one of my Dad's favorite lunches, and we'd eat them together on saltines.

OTOH, FRESH sardines are really delicious. If you live anywhere near a Portuguese or Italian neighborhood, you should be able to find them at the local fish market. Fresh sardines will remind you of smelt, and are delicious grilled or battered and fried. I could eat a million of them!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef
I don't like tinned sardines, although my cat adores them! BUT fresh? They are a wonderful, oily fish - I adore eating them straight off a grill and squeezed lemon juice, by the sea in Portugal or Spain.... Rough local bread and a mixed salad - bliss on a plate
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
you will love them, Lulu and Jenny and Sizz all had the right way to down em My dad use to mash them with some lemon and spread them on crackers, I added mayo which I know you mildly dislike, so chuck that idea..But really they are nice with bread, crackers and I love them with crackers and big fat juicy grapes.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Sous Chef
I like them on toast with finely sliced [or diced] onion and lemon juice.

attie is offline   Reply With Quote