"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I am Cornish and Welsh, why have I not heard of this?TBS
Eeee, I can answer up that 'un, lad! I was writing from old memory, and thee got me worried, so I checked. Here's Wikipedia on the topic. but I'll quote the relevant part:
The dish is traditionally held to have originated from the village of Mousehole in Cornwall and is traditionally eaten during the festival of Tom Bawcock's Eve to celebrate his heroic catch during a very stormy winter. According to the modern festival, which is combined with the Mousehole village illuminations, the entire catch was baked into a huge stargazy pie, encompassing seven types of fish and saving the village from starvation. The story of Bawcock was popularised by Antonia Barber's children's book The Mousehole Cat, which featured the star-gazy pie. In 2007 contestant Mark Hix won the BBC's Great British Menu with a variant of the dish.
(In other words, the pie version of the loaves and fishes miracle.)

Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Well by Lugh the Long-Armed and the Morrigan Herself herself this is gonna get made at some point.

Might not get seven types of fish... but I can give it a go.

Tom Bawcock is gonna have nothing on me.

TBS

Old 07-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #43
Senior Cook

So after a careful and thoughtful explanation of the idea of Stargazy pie, and a retelling of the Thomas Bawcock myth, my wife seems skeptical of Stargazer pie. I even tried a dramatic reading of the Bawcock story, and how it relates to Mousehome (one of the most charmingly named towns I have ever seen) to no avail.

My only seeming chance of having Stargazy pie is to serve it up on 12/23, Tom Bawcock's day, and say it is a traditional dish. That is the traditional day to serve Stargazy pie, correct?

This has a degree of difficulty, as Rachel has already seen this post, but mainly as I have no recipe for it.

By my count we have 173 days to work on a recipe for this, 12/23 I will post a Stargazy pie.

Cheers,

TBS
Old 07-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Right. I tend to steer away from things that the family doesn't want to eat. If Karen is away visiting, I might make stuff for myself, mostly German fare. I've never understood why some folks want to push food on others that won't be welcomed.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Right. I tend to steer away from things that the family doesn't want to eat. If Karen is away visiting, I might make stuff for myself, mostly German fare. I've never understood why some folks want to push food on others that won't be welcomed.
"Oh come on. Just take a small taste. How do you know you don't like it if you never had it?" Words said around the world.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
This has a degree of difficulty, as Rachel has already seen this post, but mainly as I have no recipe for it.
(That's weird: I already posted this response, but there's no sign of it)

I gave a link to the Saveur recipe in the original post, with a couple of tips.

Here's the Saveur Recipe, again
Old 07-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by outRIAAge View Post
(That's weird: I already posted this response, but there's no sign of it)

I gave a link to the Saveur recipe in the original post, with a couple of tips.

Here's the Saveur Recipe, again
Go to post #39 on page one. It has not been removed.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Stargazy Pie Simplification

I just came up with a way to make this a much easier, approachable, and less-hardcore recipe. Make the pie with mackerel or bluefish fillets (or even canned sardines, in a pinch), seal the crust on, then cut holes in it and stick in some fish-heads: your fishmonger will likely have a selection for free. If you make it with seven different kinds, you'll be welcomed in Mousehole by Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

The pie would be a ringer for the real thing, without all the fuss and bones.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
"Oh come on. Just take a small taste. How do you know you don't like it if you never had it?" Words said around the world.
Well, we'll say that too once or twice, but won't push it any more. If somebody does try and doesn't like it, they'll never be offered it again or expected to eat any more of it than the taste. I'd imagine most households are like us. There are things Craig really likes that I don't and vice versa, but we'll both indulge the other's favorites from time to time, or try to make it when the other isn't home, or order it when out at a restaurant. Case in point, he has a birthday coming up soon and he's alredy said he wants sauerbraten, which is MOST definitely NOT my favorite. I'll eat it and even make it for his birthday meal, but he's in charge of any leftovers! And I'm not much for his stuffed potato dumplings either so I'll make spaetzle for me.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

I never made my kids eat food they hated. I always felt, if you didn't do it to any adults you knew, why would you do it to your own kids? Folks would tell me that they needed the nutrition. They got plenty of nutrition in other foods. If they asked for a taste, fine. They got a small taste and if they didn't like it, it was never placed on their plate. Grant you, some nights I ended up cooking two meals. One for me and my husband (who would eat anything!) and one for the kids. But that didn't happen too often. I tried to make meals that everyone liked. It sure cut down on yelling during mealtime.

Tags
None