"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Sardines anyone?

Who loves sardines, besides me?

I recently purchased these at Costco, and they are really good!!

Besides enjoying them right out of the can, here's some ideas about what to do with the lill darlings.....

13 Things to Do With Canned Sardines - Chowhound

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Master Chef

Himself is more of a kipper guy. I don't do any fish in a can. Sorry.

If you have never seen the movie (or play), you should watch "Noises Off". Early in the show, sardines have a starring role! Carol Burnett is in the movie, and she wanders a lot in the beginning looking for her plate of sardines. Seriously, the story is SO much funnier than that! So funny, Himself and I have watched the movie twice and have seen a live performance once. I'm not really fond of Carol Burnett, but there are so many well-known actors in it that I really didn't mind. Michael Caine is my favorite. ~ Not a theatre person, Himself has said he would go to another staged production of Noises Off. Guess he REALLY loves it!

Old 06-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to enjoy sardines with my mom growing up. I think she would open the can, pour out the oil, put vinegar in and then eat. I haven't had them in years
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I like kippers, too. Sardines don't do much for me.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I used to love sardines as a kid at my great aunt's house. Then I dissected one, and found out there was a skeleton in there! Haven't had them since, but I should try them again. Other relatives also loved kippers.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Another fan of sardines!

I like them right out of the can on fingers of buttered rye bread.

If you are not a fan it might be a good idea to try several different brands. Sardines vary a great deal from one brand to another and unfortunately the more expensive ones usually taste better.

These Mediterranean style sardines are nice!

brisling sardines mediterranean style » KING OSCAR THE BEST SEAFOOD IN THE WORLD

Sardine trivia, it is said that Lord Mountbatten always traveled with a supply of tinned sardines and when he joined a new ship he would always appoint a sailor to turn the tins on a regular basis so the sardines would be evenly bathed in the oil.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Another fan of sardines!

I like them right out of the can on fingers of buttered rye bread.

If you are not a fan it might be a good idea to try several different brands. Sardines vary a great deal from one brand to another and unfortunately the more expensive ones usually taste better.

These Mediterranean style sardines are nice!

brisling sardines mediterranean style » KING OSCAR – THE BEST SEAFOOD IN THE WORLD

Sardine trivia, it is said that Lord Mountbatten always traveled with a supply of tinned sardines and when he joined a new ship he would always appoint a sailor to turn the tins on a regular basis so the sardines would be evenly bathed in the oil.
My favorite brand is King Oscar but I have Crown Prince and Wild Planet also and they're good. Not sure why, but I don't care for the Beach Cliff brand which is the least expensive on my grocery store's shelves. I'm the polar opposite of a food snob, but there is something about Beach Cliff that turns me off.
I like brislings which are smaller and still have skin and bones, though you wouldn't really know it. There's no crunch to them or anything. Also like the slightly larger skinless & boneless.

Like them out of the can, in a sandwich or lots of other ways. Tacos, Over pasta with garlic sauteed in olive oil, salads, etc.

A lot of people childishly turn their nose at sardines.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #8
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Gee ya know, I thought I had a food photo of sardines and onions as we call them in Hawaii, but alas, none.
My Dad and husband enjoy their canned sardines (neither of them are/were picky about the brand) served:
Open can
drain
place a top a bed of hot steamed white rice
top with diced sweet white onions (vidalia or maui)
a drizzle of shoyu (soy sauce)
and a goodly sprinkle of furikake
GRINDZ!!

Kayelle, on Kauai folks eat their canned sardines with tomato sauce, atop steamed rice, onions AND THEN add a side of canned Pork and Beans (don't heat it up, just open can and pour), CHEE HOO!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Who loves sardines, besides me?

I recently purchased these at Costco, and they are really good!!

[/url]
Will have to check our Costco out. Never see them before. I like sardines a lot, but only certain kinds.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I tried the King Arthur's this afternoon. To my surprise I liked them a lot! The only sardines I's tasted before were the conveniences store variety.

Tags
None