Scallops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love scallops but they are not available here. Back home when I could get them, I stir fry them with asparagus or kai lan (Chinese kale). However, I do have some dried ones (not the ones available elsewhere) that are used strictly as flavouring in soups, rice porridge and stir-fry veggies.

Pollock is also what that imitation crab meat is made from... you know, those massive hunks of "crab" with the fluorescent orange stripes... :LOL:
-----
The mainstream always puts lobster tails and filet mignon up on the pedestal as the ultimate surf n' turf. I'll take a couple big dry-packed sea scallops and piece of boneless prime rib-eye myself... :bounce:

Last edited:
Yes - the "imitation" scallops cookie-cut out of skate wings was true a number of years ago when skate was still considered a cheap trash fish.

However, now that skate has come into its own as a "gourmet" product & just as expensive, if not moreso in some markets, as scallops, that's not done anymore.

And luckiily, these days seafood regulations are such that a market would have to be insane to try to pass off "imitation" scallops as the real thing. While there's nothing inherently wrong with pollock "surimi", it must be marked as such, not as whatever it's "imitating".

BreezyCooking said:
...And luckiily, these days seafood regulations are such that a market would have to be insane to try to pass off "imitation" scallops as the real thing. While there's nothing inherently wrong with pollock "surimi", it must be marked as such, not as whatever it's "imitating".

I agree.

I've only seen the fake scallops in a restaurant, never a market. I've also seen surimi in a lobster pie. These are the "never going back there again" restaurants.

I think one thing that is necessary when fixing scallops is to get them as dry as possible (unless you are fortunate enough to really have "dry" scallops). Put them between paper towels with a light weight on them to press the excess water out. They will then sear nicely instead of exuding the excess water and "steaming".

Back
Top Bottom