Scallops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't see alot of scallops here...but when I do... I love them lightly sauteed in butter..with a small pinch of salt, just wee bit of lemon...nothing to mask their sweet flovor. Isn't it scallop season along the east coast? Please share your experiences

We prefer the larger sea scallops. We also look for dry scallops as they brown up better. Scallops can have as much as 25% water added.

I brown them in butter and serve them with lemon.

scallops

Hi Bob,

I live in Michigan and love sea food. I don't know much about cooking scallops. What is the difference between bay scallops and sea scallops?

Karen

Bay scallops are smaller than sea scallops. Sea scallops, in the shell, are huge. Once you shuck them and remove the undesired flesh, you can have a scallop as big, or bigger, in diameter as a quarter, and up to an inch tall.

I live in Canada, I have seafood all the time. I love it!
We have a chinese food buffet called Mandarin that serves pretty much every type of seafood, including scallops. They are breaded and fried and very tasty. I have also had them in a little seafood mix bag my dad got for me. It had scallops, cuttlefish, shrimp, calamari, muscles, and octopus.

Scallops are one of my most favorite seafoods due to it's versatility. You can impart the flavor of pretty much any cuisine with scallops and it will hold up to it. My favorites are U-10 scallops and I will pan sear 90% of the time and grill them 10% of the time. Any other cooking method with scallops just doesn't bring out the flavor in them.

The bag my dad picked up for me I cooked on a pan with some butter and a little garlic, and I thought they tasted fantastic, much better than the fried ones for sure.

I only buy dry-pack scallops. Unless the scallops you buy are designated "dry-pack", they are soaked in a solution to increase both their shelf-life & weight. When you cook them, at least half of the weight you paid for oozes out of them as liquid in the pan (which you should definitely pour out).

As far as how I cook my dry-pack scallops, my favorite way is to grill them on my cast-iron grill pan & then top each of them (I'm talking sea scallops here) with a dollop of freshly-made basil pesto. I serve them with a side of orzo pasta drizzled with some white truffle oil.

Other favorites? Just to grill them & serve them over mixed greens or small pasta.

There are more than two types of scallops... Scallops are my single most favorite food in the world, and I probably have around 500 recipes for them. I love their sweet, delicate flavor, and their texture. They take very little time to cook. I don't like when they are prepared with tomatoes in the recipe, because imo the tomatoes overtake the flavor of the scallops. The scallops I have enjoyed in their shells are quite small... shell may be 2 to 2 1/2 inches across, and meat is small and pinkish. Scallops are very tasty served raw with just a touch of Maldon Sea salt and lime or lemon juice. Tangerine juice is good with them, too. My favorite scallops are in season only from Nvember to February, in years when the Cape waters (Cod) are not too riled up. They're known as Nantucket Cape Scallops, and they are medium sized -- maybe as big as the top joint of my thumb.

When shopping for scallops in the market, be careful NOT to get any that are sitting in whitish water. Most of those have been treated with chemicals, and the seafood will taste like soapsuds. That's not a taste I want from anything!

ironchef said:
I will pan sear 90% of the time and grill them 10% of the time. Any other cooking method with scallops just doesn't bring out the flavor in them. [/FONT]

I agree completely. I almost always pan-sear my scallops; I think its hands down the best way to bring out their flavor.

Scallops are easy to cook but TOO easy to overcook. For those who cannot buy dry scallops, set them in a colander and let them drain. After you've done that, pat them dry with paper towels. This will allow you to sear them properly.

There are three types of scallops: sea scallops, bay scallops and calico scallops. Sea scallops are the largest of the lot. There is a large membrane on the side of the scallop which attaches the scallop to the shell. It is easily removed.

Bay scallops and calico scallops are all smaller. Because of that the amount of heat required to to cook them is minimal. I've found in many of my recipes if I have to use those scallops, I'll toss them in raw and let residual heat of the food cook them up.

Goboenomo,
I remember a huge Chinese buffet called Mandarin in Oshawa. Is that the place you're talking about?? That was part of a chain, wasn't it?

Ciao,

The ones I have gotten out of the Gulf are called (I Think) Calico scallops..more in the line of Bay scallops in size...Have also gotten the larger sea scollops (deep water) probably brought in from the East Coast...Pan-seared would be my favorite...But honestly.. I never had the fried ones.

Fried scallops are pretty good as well. However, like fried oysters, it's in the hands of the fry person. Too long and you've got fried scallop pucks. Too short and the batter or breading is raw or doughy.

Some places (with buffets) have been known to pawn off surimi scallops. You can easily tell they're fake. The all look identical.

Ciao,

One inch? I get dry-packed sea scallops whenever I can, and the ones I get usually dwarf a golf-ball and can approach the size of a tennis ball.

I'll eat 'em almost any way. Pan seared, pan-fried, grilled, deep-fried, steamed, or even lightly simmered/poached in a light but zesty broth.

My favorite seafood hands down!

Pet peeve would of course be the overcooked hockey-pucks some people churn out. Such a shame... such as shame... :glare:

The scallops that I get are the IQF sea scallops from Cosco. These are much better than the ones that our local grocery stores. I like mine wrapped with bacon:)

Andy M....

I have heard the same thing about skate/ray wings...kinda made cookie cutter style.. passed off as scallops...don't have any facts however..

Skate/ray wing is almost pricier than scallops now. I heard 'back in the day' (and I'm dating myself by saying, "When I was young in the 60s") that was the case. Pollock is what's used now.

Ciao,

Uncle Bob said:
Andy M....

I have heard the same thing about skate/ray wings...kinda made cookie cutter style.. passed off as scallops...don't have any facts however..
That used to be true until skate got trendy, now it costs as much as scallops, and I'm sure "they" have found some other poor fish to try to pass off as scallops.... :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom