"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Scallops

I wanna grill up some Big Fat scallops soon.

Recently, at a high class resteraunt I had scallops (i believe grilled?) with a spicy habanaro/mango sauce. They were succulent.

Im willing to drop 20-30$ to buy the good ol frozen scallops, but Im not sure what to do with them.

Chefs unite! Give me a clue.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I just made these the other day Recipes : Skewered Sea Scallops with Lemon-Fennel Dressing : Food Network
Very easy, make sure the grill is piping hot and clean. Wipe down the grates with canola oil just before you throw on the scallops. I left out the Pernod and they were still awesome.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Do a search on the site and on Google. There's a bunch of scallop recipes both here and online.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

My husband sprinkles them with a dab of Tony Chachere's (cajun seasoning) and sears them in a skillet with a half/half butter and olive oil. Getting scallops done just right is a little tricky. You don't want to over-cook them, but you don't want them raw inside, either. They are done when the inside changes from translucent to opaqe.
I like mine with a squeeze of lemon.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Head Chef

Like Constance's husband, I cook my scallops in a hot skillet. Cast iron. With JUST enough canola oil to barely coat the bottom of the pan. I like them this way better than grilled, because the scallops get more of a nice, brown crust on one side.

Dry off the scallops with paper towels, as dry as you can get them. Sprinkle one side with Tony Cachere's (good choice), or Old Bay or some other seasoning you like. Paprika gives it a nice color, so that's good to use as one of your seasonings.

Gently place each scallop, seasoned side down, in the hot, barely-oiled pan, on medium-high heat. Sprinkle the naked sides with a little seasoning, but otherwise, leave them alone, for maybe 3 minutes, until they are golden brown on the first side.

Flip them over, and cook the second side for maybe 1 minute. You do NOT need to brown the second side!

Serve browned side up, with lemon and maybe a little melted butter drizzled on.

Lee
Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Grill Scallops; Sea Salt, white pepper. Grill on medium heat 2 or 3 minutes side one, 1 or 2 minutes side two. Straight up! Allow yourself to enjoy the sweet flavor of the scallop! Ain't that why ya eat um?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Cook

Farm raised scallops I wouldn't mind eating raw. I used to take 'em right out of the sound, stick a knife between their little blue eyes and pop 'em right open on the boat. These days though, I wouldn't dream of doing that... if I want that much mercury in my diet, I'll eat a thermometer.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstranger
Farm raised scallops I wouldn't mind eating raw. I used to take 'em right out of the sound, stick a knife between their little blue eyes and pop 'em right open on the boat. These days though, I wouldn't dream of doing that... if I want that much mercury in my diet, I'll eat a thermometer.
Scallops are NOT high in mercury. You are unnecessarily alarming people. and raw scallops, if they are very fresh, are every bit as safe to eat and as succulent as oysters!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

June is right, of course. Scallops are fairly low in mercury compared to most other types of seafood.

Cooking doesn't remove mercury, anyway, so I'm not sure why the reluctance to eat them raw for that reson.

IMO the key to cooking scallops either on the grill or on the stovetop is to make sure not to overcook them. Overcooked scallops are rubbery and unappetizing. Remember your holdover cooking time.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I wish I liked scallops, or I would make the angel hair with arugala. There are some good-looking recipes here:

Williams-Sonoma | Recipes

Tags
None