"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-12-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
IMO, soy sauce or bacon would mask the delicate flavor of the scallops. I would never use diver or sea scallops in a dish like Coquilles St. Jacques, bay scallops would be just fine and less expensive.
Nope if done right, experiment with them. I'm in England and can pick them up from the market cheap enough. Love scallops, I never had their flavour masked as what's the point of buying them if that happens. Actually found your comment weird as bacon and scallops is a classic dish, over here they do it with black pudding, I don't like it bit if you know cooking then it doesn't over power

Old 03-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen20 View Post
Nope if done right, experiment with them. I'm in England and can pick them up from the market cheap enough. Love scallops, I never had their flavour masked as what's the point of buying them if that happens. Actually found your comment weird as bacon and scallops is a classic dish, over here they do it with black pudding, I don't like it bit if you know cooking then it doesn't over power
That is why I put IMO. To me It seems that folks who wrap things in bacon, really don't like the flavor of what is being wrapped, especially seafood. Bacon wrapping has its place, like ABTs and fatties. These are items that are cooked low and slow in a smoker.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Kayelle,

If you try to sear a dark crust on both sides, you will likely overcook them. Sear the first side till it's beautifully GBD, then flip them just long enough to barely cook them through. Serve with the GBD side up.

Best thing to cook them in is butter, not oil, for the delicate flavor. Keep basting with the sizzling butter while they are cooking. Helps brown the top/bottom. Take them out of the pan a minute before you think they're done.

Depending on your source, the scallop can but a bit salty, so use salt lightly until you know what you have.

Like others said, dry them thoroughly before cooking. Letting them sit on a paper towel will wick out excess moisture. If you don't get them dry, they won't brown.

Although it used to be common to wrap them in bacon, you rarely see that anymore. It was a way to mask the chemical flavor of inferior 'wet pack ' scallops, and unnecessary with good dry pack ones. One restaurant near me even serves them with blue cheese and bacon! I tried them once. Never noticed the scallop flavor buried under those other strong flavors.

After you remove them from the pan, add a splash of white wine and a squirt of lemon to the skillet and reduce it to just a couple tablespoons of rich sauce to serve over them if you wish. While they are resting, they will give off some juice to be added back to the pan sauce.

And the biggest rule of all, if in doubt, err on the side of undercooking, rather than overcooking. Really fresh scallops are delicious raw, so cooking less still gives a nice result. Overcooking leaves you with rubbery little pucks - not nice. Even more than meat, they give up moisture and shrink as you cook them. If you overcook them, they will shrink a lot.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
Head Chef

Dry pack scallops

I think it's extremely important when purchasing scallops to only purchase dry pack. Wet pack are soaked in a chemical bath to add water weight and increase shelf life. I've never had any success attempting to sear wet pack and no longer buy them.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
IMO, soy sauce or bacon would mask the delicate flavor of the scallops. I would never use diver or sea scallops in a dish like Coquilles St. Jacques, bay scallops would be just fine and less expensive.
Must admit British bacon slightly differs from American. I don't like food wrapped in bacon, just chop and slightly sprinkle over. Lover seafood as kids used to go to seaside and eat the crabs, prawns, cockles, winkles cooked in an oil drum, just as they were.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I think it's extremely important when purchasing scallops to only purchase dry pack. Wet pack are soaked in a chemical bath to add water weight and increase shelf life. I've never had any success attempting to sear wet pack and no longer buy them.
Unfortunately, the further inland toward the Prarie States you travel, the less likely you are to find dry scallops.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Unfortunately, the further inland toward the Prarie States you travel, the less likely you are to find dry scallops.
They are an overnight, Fed Ex shipment away!
Old 03-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They are an overnight, Fed Ex shipment away!
And unless you get free shipping, the cost goes way up.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The frozen ones can be shipped anywhere, so good grocery or specialty stores would have them.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #20
Master Chef

TSM, I learned a lot and here's what I posted at tonight's dinner thread.

Nope..this was an outstanding dinner day. Turf and Surf.
Bacon wrapped filet Mignon with seared scallops. Thanks to the wonderful advice recently on scallops I requested, they turned out great!..barely opaque, and tender after I cooked the beef filet. After removing the beef, I added a bit of wine to deglaze and simmer to nothing, and then added a bit of butter to the pan for the scallops. They seared beautifully.and it was an outstanding meal with roasted asparagus, and garlic toast for the SC.

Sorry, no pictures but it was deeeeelicious.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None