Scallops.. Mmm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Mm, nothing can beat some nice scallops sauteed in butter, white wine and garlic!

img_595053_0_1983c4226980a69f8232e87f4b1aa3ea.jpg

I haven't had scallops in a long time.....
That's going to change soon!

Thanks for the pic.

mmmm, not a chance.

They are on my shortlist for next time I go to the store.
Mom used to make them all the time way back when, then my father became allergic to shellfish :(
I'll bet it's been twenty-five years....
They look so good there, sauteeing away, no bacon wrapped around them or anything (not that there's anything wrong with that :LOL:)

Looks like the makings of a great sauce in that pan.

Grilled scallops are pretty easy and tasty. Get the grill super hot and use a rolled up paper towel and tongs to wipe veggie or canola oil on the grates. Run 2 bamboo skewers (so they don't roll around) through 3-4 scallops and place over the hottest part of the grill. Don't force them, thet them naturally release from the grates before turning. Only takes a few minutes. Top with the sauce of your choice.

In addition to the lovely looking dish above, I like to put scallops with bacon through herbed couscous that I have cooked in chicken stock. Lots of butter/oil and herbs. Great hot and cold.

Also with scallops and bacon, some chopped up courgettes are a nice accompaniement over rice.

A couple of weeks ago I did make scallops wrapped in bacon, it was great!

Yes quick, that is a quiche next to it. Check out the egg section for the pic.

i used to think that they were like tasteless chunks of fat, so i called them "sea fat".

but i had them as sushi, and they were unbelievably delicious. the flavor is so delicate. however, it's easy to cook it right out of them. even before they're overcooked and get tough.

so i made them at home a few times, mostly in a light, garlicy tomato sauce, and just cooked them so that they just barely finish cooking through, or are maybe a bit undwercooked. and then the falvor came though.

i'll have to try the same thing with the butter, wine, and garlic. thanks saph. yours look perfect!

I love scallops, especially bacon wrapped scallops. All the oil soaks into it and makes it nice and greasy! =)

I'm going to be buying more for next week.

If they are just a tad undercooked, won't you get sick from it? It is seafood after all.

If seafood is of high quality then it does not need to be cooked at all. Raw scallops are delicious!!!

Does cooking alter the flavor at all? Is there a big difference? I would like to try them raw but I don't trust any fishery around here.

Right.. Sushi.. LOL

Ok, so now I know that, I will be able to make them much better next time.

To get pan seared, does the heat have to be high?

Yes cooking really does change the flavor quite a bit IMO. If you do not trust your fish places then you are absolutely right to stick to cooked fish. It is not worth taking a chance.

IMO all raw seafood tastes completely different from all cooked seafood. Scallops are probably the one that tastes the most similar raw vs cooked, but there is still a definite taste difference.

Right.. Sushi.. LOL

Ok, so now I know that, I will be able to make them much better next time.

To get pan seared, does the heat have to be high?
I use the highest heat I can get when I pan sear mine. I like to cook them in a cast iron pan. I preheat the pan and get it smoking hot before I put the scallops in. I also sometimes cook them under the broiler very close to the element.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom