"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Scallops, Roasted Mushrooms, Corn, Ponzu

I was really happy with this dish. All of the flavors really, really worked well together. We had kind of a busy Friday night and I ended up selling I think 11 or 12 of these. At one point during the rush I had I think 7 or 8 on order sandwiched between 8 or 9 entree tickets. That was fun.

With fresh scallops, lately I've been starting to just get a really good caramelization on one side only, and then just lightly cooking the second side for medium-rare. I like the results better. The mushrooms were pan roasted with olive oil, butter, shallots, and garlic, then added to lightly sauteed sweet corn, then finished with a little sherry vinegar and finely chopped scallions. The sauces are a ponzu beurre blanc (my "go to" sauce), shiso oil, and thai red curry oil.

Caramelized Atlantic Diver Scallops
Warm Roasted Mushroom and Corn Salad, Shiso Essence, Red Curry Oil, Ponzu Beurre Blanc

Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Yo!!! check it out!!! Da Iron Chef is in da house!!!!

Looks good enough to eat IC.......beautiful!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

you did it again, man! tell me about that ponzu sauce.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow - sounds and looks delicious - I'd have ordered one Love scallops.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
you did it again, man! tell me about that ponzu sauce.
Ponzu is basically a citrusy soy-dashi based sauce that's used with meats, seafood, and sushi in Japanese cuisine. Mine consists of dashi, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, yuzu juice, sugar, and water. When I'm making the beurre blanc, I add a couple of tablespoons to reduce with the cream. After I emulsify the butter and strain it, I add more ponzu if needed.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Your food always looks so beautiful.
My mouth waters!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Oh man on man, that looks beautiful and delicious! My DH loves scallops and I'm kind of afraid of them. I need to take the plunge, I guess. I've had them at a restaurant in a nasty, cloying white sauce and you take a bite and you get a slimy mouthfeel and grit. Yeah, obviously not well prepared, so hence my fear.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Ironchef, what kind of pan do you use for your scallops? I used to use a technique similar to what you described, heavy caramelization on one side, and very light on the other. We used some heavy 8" black steels, and would lay the scallops in right before the oil began to smoke, and drop the heat to med-high. When they had caramelized on the first side we would remove the pan from heat and turn the scallops and let them sit in there to finish while we sauced the plate and prepared the base for the scallop. It was a good way for us to ensure that we didnt overcook them, and I rather liked the results; you always end up with fantastic looking scallops.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
Ironchef, what kind of pan do you use for your scallops? I used to use a technique similar to what you described, heavy caramelization on one side, and very light on the other. We used some heavy 8" black steels, and would lay the scallops in right before the oil began to smoke, and drop the heat to med-high. When they had caramelized on the first side we would remove the pan from heat and turn the scallops and let them sit in there to finish while we sauced the plate and prepared the base for the scallop. It was a good way for us to ensure that we didnt overcook them, and I rather liked the results; you always end up with fantastic looking scallops.
CC, I like to use these particular pans for searing the scallops in:

We have both aluminum (shown) and SS fry pans and I'll use a certain one depending on the protein.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Ponzu is basically a citrusy soy-dashi based sauce that's used with meats, seafood, and sushi in Japanese cuisine. Mine consists of dashi, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, yuzu juice, sugar, and water. When I'm making the beurre blanc, I add a couple of tablespoons to reduce with the cream. After I emulsify the butter and strain it, I add more ponzu if needed.
very nice. thank you!

Tags
None