Scallops with a green chile sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RMM, that's a really good looking plate and the recipe sounds wonderful. I have to give it a try although I'm a novice with scallops.

By the way, the compliment from Cheryl should be taken very seriously, as many times she has presented pictures of the most beautifully seared scallops ever to be seen on Discuss Cooking!!
You are a great addition here, and your participation is both welcomed and very much appreciated.

Last edited:
While I do prefer serving up scallops mostly au natural (I do like them with grits, though), that sauce looks yummy. We're <150 airline miles from George's Bank, but I still think of scallops as a treat*. How do you think the sauce would work with seared shrimp? I can even see it with grilled pork chunks. I'm not a fan of cilantro, but I could see me tossing in some Italian parsley to bump up the color. I take it the sauce is plated at room temperature? I can't seeing that recipe being for a warm sauce.

Oh, and enjoy Cheryl's compliment on your sear. She made me smile big when she complimented my last batch. :heart:

*We do have them often enough, since I can buy local dry scallops that are frozen, frequently on sale for $13 a pound year-round.

Last edited:
Pic I promised of Scallops Vera Cruz we had tonite - they were excellent !

Yes, they look great! Can you comment on how you cooked the scallops? I mean, were they the wet variety and you used the CI trick? Or were they dry packed?

I do hate when I buy scallops at Market Basket on sale and I don’t get a good sear because all of the water oozed out. I will try the CI technique next time. The only way I avoided this in the past is to get scallops from the local fish market or Whole Foods at $28+/lb.

RMM, that's a really good looking plate and the recipe sounds wonderful. I have to give it a try although I'm a novice with scallops.

By the way, the compliment from Cheryl should be taken very seriously, as many times she has presented pictures of the most beautifully seared scallops ever to be seen on Discuss Cooking!!
You are a great addition here, and your participation is both welcomed and very much appreciated.

I thank you very much for the kind words, Kathy - much appreciated.

While I do prefer serving up scallops mostly au natural (I do like them with grits, though), that sauce looks yummy. We're <150 airline miles from George's Bank, but I still think of scallops as a treat*. How do you think the sauce would work with seared shrimp? I can even see it with grilled pork chunks. I'm not a fan of cilantro, but I could see me tossing in some Italian parsley to bump up the color. I take it the sauce is plated at room temperature? I can't seeing that recipe being for a warm sauce.

Oh, and enjoy Cheryl's compliment on your sear. She made me smile big when she complimented my last batch. :heart:

*We do have them often enough, since I can buy local dry scallops that are frozen, frequently on sale for $13 a pound year-round.

This sauce with seared shrimps, or prawns - is wonderful.
Linda doesn't like cilantro either, so I substituted with parsley.

And yes, the sauce is to be plated cool (somewhat warmed up from out of the fridge) or at room temp - I should have mentioned that.

Yes, they look great! Can you comment on how you cooked the scallops? I mean, were they the wet variety and you used the CI trick? Or were they dry packed?

I do hate when I buy scallops at Market Basket on sale and I don’t get a good sear because all of the water oozed out. I will try the CI technique next time. The only way I avoided this in the past is to get scallops from the local fish market or Whole Foods at $28+/lb.

Thanks.

First off, my fish market sells only dry packed and has always done so.

But I still ensure they are further dried well with paper towelling before sautéing, and they turn out well seared on pre-heated (med.-high) stovetop skillet - in small amount of butter & oil combo - for approx. 1 to -1.5 minutes or so each side. Depends on their thickness size.

Immediately before frying, I very lightly brush them with a bit veg. oil, and sprinkle the prepared rub over both sides.

Last edited:
Heavily Moderated...stay on topic. There are Off Topic threads you can go to or create if you want to discuss the treatment of scallops. This is a recipe forum, you must stay on topic.

Last edited:
Heavily Moderated...stay on topic. There are Off Topic threads you can go to or create if you want to discuss the treatment of scallops. This is a recipe forum, you must stay on topic.

I don't understand.
Please explain to me exactly what is off topic, and how.

The question was specifically asked in regard to the recipe itself which I posted, as was the response that dealt with it - all pertinent to the recipe - how can that be off topic?

Why would a separate thread have to be created to deal with a question about the specific recipe - that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I think she is referencing the talk about dry vs wet scallops. And all the bickering and negative posts.

I think she is referencing the talk about dry vs wet scallops. And all the bickering and negative posts.

Could be - but that could occur with any posted recipe thread, or any other thread for that matter- is the criteria for staying on topic that tightly restricted in a forum of this nature ?

Thanks, Fiona - I give in - you have a point.
But I still think it's a bit of 'overkill' for a forum of this nature.
Just sayin' - after all, this isn't a court of law - LOL

I had several reports of the rudeness in this thread, I trimmed it. We don't stand for rudeness and bickering in any thread.

Nuff said, back to your fantastic looking recipe.

Please share the image I am excited to see the final look of this dish

Here is the picture

Here it is

IMG_8748Pic of scallops vera cruz.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom