"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Oh dear, just one in the house is enough for me to say... "What a wonderful invitation to come for supper and I truly thank you. I'm sorry to say though that I cannot accept." lol!

Lizards, rats and mealy bugs I don't mind. As long as they have legs, I'm good. She must be beautiful. I looked up your "gems" a long time ago as I was suspicious that that was indeed what you were referring to. LOL I was right!

I've had this phobia since childhood. No one knows why. I never really told anyone about it but now I can at least talk about them. Of course I still have nightmares for about 3 nights after talking but...
They are just dragons without wings...that being said, I have the same phobia.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
They are just dragons without wings...that being said, I have the same phobia.
LOL... people don't understand my fixation with dragons a reptilian creature and my phobia. Chickens/birds also same background. I love them.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Just keep in mind that we cook bugs and mud bugs!

Are they for Emma, the Emerald, or Curly Lizabet? Or for your selves?

I would try to try them, but I'm not a big fan. Would be better if with my first mouthful you just plain lied about the contents.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Florida lobster are great steamed using equal parts water and white vinegar mixed with Old Bay and kosher salt. Perfect for a "shrimp" cocktail, using lobster instead or lobster salad. With crab, shrimp and lobster (Caribbean/Florida) the vinegar brings out the sweetness during steaming, IMO. I use the Old Bay very sparingly. Maine lobster is too delicate to steam with Old Bay. I don't like crab done in a crawfish boil and I don't like crawfish steamed with Old Bay.
Yes, I like Old Bay too with some things, but just sparingly as you said. Not so it gets caked on the shell.

It's been so long since I've had a spiny lobster. We will be in St Augustine this Sumer visiting my sister. I'll have to be on the lookout for the lobster cocktail you mentioned.

I'm also hoping to get down to Marco/Sanibel again soon. Maybe in the Fall if I have enough travel rewards.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Talking

Quote:
Are they for Emma, the Emerald, or Curly Lizabet? Or for your selves?

I would try to try them, but I'm not a big fan. Would be better if with my first mouthful you just plain lied about the contents.
Bugs are slang for Caribbean lobster. Mudbugs, of course, are crawfish and look like mini Maine lobster.

We don't have names for the snake or the curly tail. The CT is free range. I just yell at Craig and tell him his girlfriend demands his presence when I go out without him and she's there. lord only knows what the neighbors think.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Bugs are slang for Caribbean lobster. Mudbugs, of course, are crawfish and look like mini Maine lobster.
Well, harumph, tell Curly for me she has my full permission and encouragement to go and nibble on Craig's ear - hard - for putting me on like that.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Yes, I like Old Bay too with some things, but just sparingly as you said. Not so it gets caked on the shell.

It's been so long since I've had a spiny lobster. We will be in St Augustine this Sumer visiting my sister. I'll have to be on the lookout for the lobster cocktail you mentioned.

I'm also hoping to get down to Marco/Sanibel again soon. Maybe in the Fall if I have enough travel rewards.
Seriously, back in the late '80s, '90s and up to around 2005, we were diving every Saturday, Sunday and holiday, when the weather permitted for our size boat. We did 3 dives per day. During the lobster season, when the limit was still 24 per boat, we would average around 300 per season, including Florida, slipper, shovel nose and Spanish. The latter 3 had no season, but you couldn't take females with eggs. We always gave away plenty to neighbors and friends or had parties serving lobster and fish. Parties were usually impromptu and featured that days catch, often with folks taking home some of that catch and leftovers.

My point is, when you have your freezer full and that much available, you get tired of the same old, same old. You have to get creative. My "Lobster Diablo", "Lobster Salad", "Lobster Cocktail", "Hogfish Polynesian" were a few of the recipes well received by others. You probably won't find the lobster cocktail as a restaurant menu item.

Heck, if things were still the same today, we'd be trying options with some of the cuisines we have started exploring.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
I am about to boil up some lobsters tonight.

From 2 of them I will be making Lobster Rolls (Welcome Home for my traveling neighbours).
The other I will share with a friend, hot out of the pot. (hope I can pick out the largest )

I was wondering if any of you "season" the boiling water with anything - other than salt. Any herbs? spices?... something?

I actually have some lemon grass that I'm thinking should be used up and was wondering if I dumped one or two into the pot it could give a hint of lemon?

I know it's sort of late but if anyone sees this in time and has an opinion I'd love to hear it.
Someone on TV (can't remember who) made a sort of court bouillon to cook the lobster in. They said to plunge it into boiling water head first as that was the kindest way. (Please don't shoot the messenger - I'm only repeating what I heard)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #29
Head Chef

Not to worry Mad Cook. I've been cooking lobster for a long time.

I was looking for an opinion as to whether or not other people "seasoned" their water and if yes, with what.

I had always just used salt. My father was a Maritimer and THAT was the only way. LOL

I cooked some more the other day back with just the salt. Truth to tell? I really could not see that much difference in the flavour of the meat. Just my palate I guess.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Not to worry Mad Cook. I've been cooking lobster for a long time.

I was looking for an opinion as to whether or not other people "seasoned" their water and if yes, with what.

I had always just used salt. My father was a Maritimer and THAT was the only way. LOL

I cooked some more the other day back with just the salt. Truth to tell? I really could not see that much difference in the flavour of the meat. Just my palate I guess.
Fear not. I think from New England to the north, it is simply salt in the water. It is when other parts of the country began to discover the delights of boiled lobster that they started to change things up. Something that simple cannot possibly be that good. Or so they thought.

Tags
lobster, oil, seasoning, water

« Lobster Rolls | - »