Seasoning Lobster Boiling Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That reminds me of the scene from the movie The Great Outdoors when Dan Aykroyd is grilling huge lobster tails.

https://youtu.be/001dtJ0srBI

It always makes me so hungry for lobsters.
Does anyone remember about 30 years ago when gigantic African lobster tails were popular? They were like a pound or two each, just in the tail.

No, but I do remember 10+ pound lobsters from the Dry Tortugas and Cay Sal Banks. On a night dive in the Tortugas, we snagged one that was as long (without measuring the antenna) as Karen's arm, measured from her finger tips to her shoulder. The biggest problem with 3, 4 and 5 pound tails is if you try to cook them whole they get tough. You have to cut the meat into smaller pieces to get even cooking.

...Does anyone remember about 30 years ago when gigantic African lobster tails were popular? They were like a pound or two each, just in the tail.
I do. We never got them because they were so big. And so pricey.

The largest lobster I ever saw plated was the first time Himself and I visited Boston while on vacation. This was sometime in the mid-1970s. We hit Cape Cod along with all the traditional tourist traps in Boston. We ate dinner one night at Durgin-Park. If you have ever eaten at a Dick's Last Resort, they must have gotten their idea for surly servers from Durgin-Park. Anyway, back to the lobster. The people down the table from us* ordered lobster, so we had front row seats to see this thing that was so big the claws and tip of the tail all extended over the edges of the platter! On her way back to the restaurant she told us it was about a 2 1/2 pounder. It was uuuuuuuge!

*No "table for four" at this place, Durgin-Park had long, cafeteria style seating. Every time people left the area they were sitting at, the waitress would put a clean red-and-white checked cloth on top of all the other ones. You could see how many people sat at your table that day while waiting for your food...or for a server to actually take your order. :rolleyes:

We are eating out first lobsters of the summer tonight!! 2 pounders :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

2 pounders are pretty normal size.

We buy them steamed and cracked at Nauset Lobster.

They had a number of 10 pounders in the tanks. I took a picture and will try to post.

Will also let you know the meat:shell ratio and if they are watery

Last edited:
You might get pinched but not bitten. There is a reason the claws have rubber bands on them when purchased.

Pinched??? Try taking off a finger. That is more than just a pinched. And those rubber bands are for those who don't know how to handle a lobster. You have to grab them right behind their eyes.
Every year here in Eastie, they have "Poaching Night." The lobster men set out their traps and those who poach go out and poach the lobsters that are in the traps. No elastics for them, they handle them the way the lobster men do. Behind the eyes. The rest of the season, the poacher have a hands off policy. No poaching allowed. If caught, you get arrested and pay a heavy fine.

Aww, c'mon Addie. A lobsters claw is too blunt to sever a finger. Break one, yes. But not cut it off.

I reached into the water once when I was young trying to pick up something in the water to see what it was. It was a lobster. The damn thing grabbed onto my index finger and held on as I screamed and tried to shake it off. It eventually let go, but my finger, while well bruised and cut up, was otherwise in tact.

I'd have to say that it was around a 2 to 3 pounder. But I still have 10 fingers and toes, and a nice little scar on my finger even after all these years to remind me no to go reaching in the ocean somewhat blind.

Aww, c'mon Addie. A lobsters claw is too blunt to sever a finger. Break one, yes. But not cut it off.

I reached into the water once when I was young trying to pick up something in the water to see what it was. It was a lobster. The damn thing grabbed onto my index finger and held on as I screamed and tried to shake it off. It eventually let go, but my finger, while well bruised and cut up, was otherwise in tact.

I'd have to say that it was around a 2 to 3 pounder. But I still have 10 fingers and toes, and a nice little scar on my finger even after all these years to remind me no to go reaching in the ocean somewhat blind.

Let a five or ten pounder get a hold of your finger. Have you ever noticed that on the big claw the lobster has teeth? And next time reach just in back of the eyes. Then peg them or use an elastic.

Pinched??? Try taking off a finger. That is more than just a pinched. And those rubber bands are for those who don't know how to handle a lobster. You have to grab them right behind their eyes.
Every year here in Eastie, they have "Poaching Night." The lobster men set out their traps and those who poach go out and poach the lobsters that are in the traps. No elastics for them, they handle them the way the lobster men do. Behind the eyes. The rest of the season, the poacher have a hands off policy. No poaching allowed. If caught, you get arrested and pay a heavy fine.

My point was that lobsters don't bite.:rolleyes:

When I get to work I'll post the pic I have of my hand next to the 10 pound lobster.
I have no doubt it could do some very serious damage....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom