Shambles Cod with cream, herb and saffron sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Romany123

Senior Cook
Happened to get some freshly caught Cod yesterday and made up this sauce.
Seemed to go down well. Just ajust the quantities for larger amounts

"shambles" Cod with cream, herb and saffron sauce.

1 lb Cod cut into two
30 g Unsalted butter
!/2 tablespoon Olive oil
60 g Mushrooms thinly sliced
1 Clove of garlic chopped finely
1 teaspoon Fresh Parsley
1 teaspoon Fresh thyme
1 pinch Saffron
4 tablespoons Creme freiche
¼ cup Dry white wine

1 Pre heat the oven to about 140c (275f) . In a large skillet with a lid heat the oil and butter. When hot add the mushrooms and cook until just done ( about 30 seconds)
2 Now add the Garlic, Thyme and parsley to the pan and cook for another 30 seconds over a medium heat.
3 Add the two cod fillets skin side down and cook for about one minute on medium, cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for a further 3 minutes ( depending on how thick the steaks are, 3 minutes for medium thickness).
4 Remove the lid and place the fish only onto plates and pop in the oven to keep warm. Add the wine to the pan and turn up the heat and reduce untill it is syrupy.
5 Turn down the heat and add the saffron to the pan and cook for a few seconds, slowly add the cream , scraping any bits of the bottom of the pan. Keep stirring until it has turned into a sauce like constituency. Season and serve over the fish adding a sprig of Parsley to finish the presentation

Servings: 2

Recipe Source
Author: David Hunter

Good on Caroline! I'm going to make this for dinner tonight! Just copied it and also saved it in my "Fish" file... along with some other yummy recipes... :)

You untilized some of my all-time favorite ingredients, Dave, and I have a great bottle of French Chardonnay (they can't call it Chablis because it comes from Vezelay, just about 3 k too far south to be considered in the appellation... :chef:

Don't fotget to save some of that wine for the glass Lol...as if
Hope you enjoy it June, as much as I have enjoyed your recipe's over the years. :)

Looks wonderful!! Cod is one of my very favorite fish - especially when it starts showing up fresh in the markets here in the winter.

One question - why is this called "Shambles" Cod, Dave?

I love saffron, wine and fish...I won't be able to go to the fish mkt til next week. :( The recipe is c&p though.

Breezy
Our house is called "Shambles". Any recipe that has that name in front was not taken from a cookery book, but came out of my head,
As of interest "Shambles" is the old name for a butchers wooden shop counter that had on it mainly offal. Back in 1890 our house was a butchers shop and was converted into a house in the 1960's. We have records going back to 1803 when it was two cottages inhabited by Oyster mens families.
We live about 300 yards from the Oyster saltings on the coast.
Hope that explains things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom