Shelf life of a can of opened tuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This one of the things that I do not have to buy in kosher department, if the fish has skin, and visible scales. Unfortunately all tuna that is sold in the store here comes completely cleaned.

This one of the things that I do not have to buy in kosher department, if the fish has skin, and visible scales. Unfortunately all tuna that is sold in the store here comes completely cleaned.

So you are expected to clean and scale it yourself? :angel:

I have only limited knowledge of kosher rules but I'm confused about why tuna is not kosher in the US because it's sold without its skin and scales, if it's kosher if is sold with its skin and scales. That's if I've understood properly what you wrote.:huh:

I think I can answer that.

The fish may have been processed in an area where pork or other meat product was handled. "Kosher not only applies to the food, but the equipment also. A knife used to cut up kosher beef, may not be used to cut up a dairy product such as cheese. Macaroni and cheese may not be cooked in a pan that is used to cook beef. Am I right Charlie? :angel:

Well, if there is skin and scales, you know for sure that the fish has skin and scales. If it's all gone, you are relying on the companies honesty. I think skin and scales are a requirement for a fish type to be kosher.

I have only limited knowledge of kosher rules but I'm confused about why tuna is not kosher in the US because it's sold without its skin and scales, if it's kosher if is sold with its skin and scales. That's if I've understood properly what you wrote.:huh:

In some cases, the answer is, it depends on the family's beliefs because different rabbis interpret some of the laws differently and some households are more strict than others.

The Torah does not explain why - it simply says that only fish with visible fins and scales are kosher.

Addie, leaving fins and scales on doesn't guarantee that the head was not cut off with a non-kosher knife. I have only ever heard that meat and dairy must be processed and cooked with separate utensils, not meat and fish.

This site has good information: http://m.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1182104/jewish/All-About-Kosher-Fish.htm

Last edited:
Well, if there is skin and scales, you know for sure that the fish has skin and scales. If it's all gone, you are relying on the companies honesty. I think skin and scales are a requirement for a fish type to be kosher.

I'll go with this answer. It t perfectly discribes the situation.

Back
Top Bottom