Shelf life of a can of opened tuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I can buy a large can of tune here that will keep me fed for about 3 weeks, based on my usual diet. If I buy the large can, the cost is 60% of what 3 weeks of small cans would be but I am not sure if the tuna will last 3 weeks in the fridge. It is packed in "spring" water. Can tuna be frozen? Also, I have a seal a meal thing - can I open a can and then seal it into day size pouches?

I can buy a large can of tune here that will keep me fed for about 3 weeks, based on my usual diet. If I buy the large can, the cost is 60% of what 3 weeks of small cans would be but I am not sure if the tuna will last 3 weeks in the fridge. It is packed in "spring" water. Can tuna be frozen? Also, I have a seal a meal thing - can I open a can and then seal it into day size pouches?

I would go for the seal a meal option. Drain all liquid and pat dry first. Can it be frozen? Seal a couple of spoonfuls, then place in the freezer. Do a taste test a couple of days later. :angel:

Q: Can canned tuna be stored after it has been opened?

I, personally, would opt for no more than 2 days.

A: Once your canned tuna has been opened it must be kept in a refrigerator if you did not eat all of it. If wrapped properly and stored in your fridge it should last for around three days. If you want to increase this time period you could put the tuna in a freezer bag and store it in the freezer for later consumption within a few months. As with any seafood products you must not leave your canned tuna for an extended time period at room temperature.

Sometimes I open a can of tuna for Shreddy, my cat. I try to use it up in 2 days so it doesn't start to smell funny.

If I had a larger can of tuna, the first thing I would make sure is to take it out of the can and transfer it into glass or plastic container. It was not mentioned in the post if you did this or not.

I have learned the tuna packed in olive oil is the very best for my taste buds.
But it s very hard to find in the US it seems.

I too would never consider opening a can of tuna and expect to eat from that can for three weeks.
No matter what you do with it.
Buy small cans and eat it up right away.

I have learned the tuna packed in olive oil is the very best for my taste buds.
But it s very hard to find in the US it seems.

I too would never consider opening a can of tuna and expect to eat from that can for three weeks.
No matter what you do with it.
Buy small cans and eat it up right away.

Tuna packed in olive oil is the only way I'll eat canned, period. Try Italian markets.

I have learned the tuna packed in olive oil is the very best for my taste buds. But it s very hard to find in the US it seems.

I too would never consider opening a can of tuna and expect to eat from that can for three weeks. No matter what you do with it. Buy small cans and eat it up right away.

Buy a small piece of fresh tuna. Sauté' in olive oil until fully cooked. Marinate it overnight in olive oil. Make sure it is covered in the oil. Pierce several times with a sharp knife or tines of a fork to allow the oil to penetrate. Next day drain and use as you usually would. You won't believe the difference from canned tuna packed in olive oil. Canned tuna is steamed first, then canned with the oil added last. :angel:

Good advice...reminds me of the saying, you can tunea piano but you can't tuna fish :)

Good advice...reminds me of the saying, you can tunea piano but you can't tuna fish :)

:LOL:

Off topic---- but in the same vein:

You can pet a cat
You can pet a dog
But you can't Petaluma

Only people from Sonoma County in CA will catch that.

(ducking and running!)

Freezing tuna...will oil packed tuna survive better than water packed? There is still likely to be a little bit of either water or oil in the tuna, no matter how much I try to squeeze it out. Let me clarify...by survive I mean, will maintain more of its original texture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom