Shrimp Ajillo (Gambas al Ajillo) - TNT
SHRIMP AJILLO (for two):
- 1 lb. shrimp, thawed and peeled
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 tsp. coriander + 1 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. sweet Spanish paprika + 1/2 tsp. smoked hot Spanish paprika + 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. coarse salt + 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Peanut oil to cover bottom of Dutch oven
- ~1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves (1.5 tbsp.) garlic minced
- 3 ounces dry vermouth
- 2 ounces dry sherry
- Tabasco sauce
Sauté 1 minced medium yellow onion in 4 tsp. peanut oil and add rice.
Toast rice in onions and peanut oil.
Add water + 1/8 tsp. saffron, stir and bring to low boil.
Cover and reduce heat to low-medium
Cook 12.5 minutes.
Toast coriander and hot red pepper flakes in Dutch oven with peanut oil, stirring occasionally, at medium low heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
Remove rice from stove (AFTER 12.5 MINUTES) and let sit, covered, while cooking of shrimp is performed.
Add olive oil and garlic to Dutch oven, raise heat to medium high while stirring.
When garlic is lightly cooked, add shrimp and stir until shrimp turn pink (~2 minutes).
Reduce heat and remove shrimp with slotted spoon.
Add vermouth, sherry then paprika and cayenne.
Stir in salt and thyme.
Cook, stirring, at simmer for 2 - 4 minutes.
Plate the rice.
Return shrimp to sauce, add 5 dashes of Tabasco and cook stirring at medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Spoon shrimp and sauce over rice.