"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Half Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,927
Shrimp artichokes and potatoes

I have been trying to recreate an appetizer that I had at Arundel Mills Mall in MD.

It was sauteed sliced red potatos, garlic, onions and unpeeled shrimp. The sauce with it's seasoning is my problem, well it wasn't a sauce really, just the juice it was cooked it.

It's thin, hot and red. I thought I'd finally figured it out with Chinese chili sauce but that didn't work.

Anyway, I have a pan full of potatos, artichoke hearts,
shrimp, garlic and onions with some hot chili sauce on it. I added lemon and it is still bland (I don't want more heat). Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can add to make it taste better. It's just blah. Of course I used salt & red pepper flakes.

__________________

__________________
Jan
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
How about adding some soy sauce? That's the first thing that came to my mind.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Half Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,927
Thanks Katie, I will give soy sauce a shot.

I just tried mixing some mustard in a spoonful and it was good. I'll try the soy sauce.

I've been picking at the pan so I'm really getting sick of it now.

EDIT - the soy sauce was pretty good! I sprinkled some on one potato, artichoke bit and shimp...lol.
__________________
Jan
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ottawa canada
Posts: 455
Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I have been trying to recreate an appetizer that I had at Arundel Mills Mall in MD.

It was sauteed sliced red potatos, garlic, onions and unpeeled shrimp. The sauce with it's seasoning is my problem, well it wasn't a sauce really, just the juice it was cooked it.

It's thin, hot and red. I thought I'd finally figured it out with Chinese chili sauce but that didn't work.

Anyway, I have a pan full of potatos, artichoke hearts,
shrimp, garlic and onions with some hot chili sauce on it. I added lemon and it is still bland (I don't want more heat). Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can add to make it taste better. It's just blah. Of course I used salt & red pepper flakes.
hmm if you gave me the name of the restaurant i could easier solve your corundrum

but being this sounds of mediterrean tastes, i could suggest harissa but that is more moroccan/arabic instead of chinese hot chili sauce
or possibly spanish then it would have olive oil, hot paprika and sherry wine vinegar

it could also but very unlikely be cajun then it would be cayenne and tobasco
__________________
obiwan9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Half Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,927
For the life of me I can't remember the restaurant. It is the 'fanciest' one at the mall, and the valet parking stand is right by the entrance.

I'm going up there in July so I'm going to break the server! I love that dish, obviously.
__________________
Jan
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ottawa canada
Posts: 455
Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
For the life of me I can't remember the restaurant. It is the 'fanciest' one at the mall, and the valet parking stand is right by the entrance.

I'm going up there in July so I'm going to break the server! I love that dish, obviously.
i just did a search of the mall
does remomo sound familiar?
__________________
obiwan9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ottawa canada
Posts: 455
Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
MOMO’S “PEEL AND EAT” STEAMED SHRIMP 9.95
One-half pound shell on shrimp, steamed with red bliss potatoes, onions and pepperoni served with cocktail sauce and lemon
__________________
obiwan9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Arundel Mall Businesses Directory

Jan, here is a directory of all the businesses in the mall. Scroll down to restaurants and see if anything jogs your memory.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ottawa canada
Posts: 455
Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Jan, here is a directory of all the businesses in the mall. Scroll down to restaurants and see if anything jogs your memory.
lol that is exactly the page that led me to remomo
then i went to there website

Remomo Appetizers
__________________
obiwan9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Half Baked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
MOMO’S “PEEL AND EAT” STEAMED SHRIMP 9.95
One-half pound shell on shrimp, steamed with red bliss potatoes, onions and pepperoni served with cocktail sauce and lemon
This is it! I didn't remember the pepperoni. Now I have something to work on. The pepperoni must have been very hot if the appy is steamed....hmmmm.

I'll definately check it out in July. Thanks to all of you!
__________________

__________________
Jan
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.