Shrimp Scampi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
When I was a child in the '70's, in Dallas Tx., some of the "nicer" restarants like Montana Mining Co. or Steak and Ale served Shrimp Scampi..

it was a side dish to steak, not served over noodles..

It was like 6 big shrimp, swimming in garlic butter and a bit of white wine and onion, then topped with bread crumbs and parsley, then browned under the broiler in a "chafing" dish?

I haven't had it in years, tried to make it last night, searched this list, and tried a best of recipe..

Absolutely The Best Shrimp Scampi - Allrecipes

but it was more like fried shrimp with a little sauce, not the same as I remember, at all..

am I missing something here?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

My wife and I don't like to go out on New Year's Eve and instead make this at home most years:

SCAMPI WITH GARLIC BUTTER

1 pound of jumbo shrimp (prawns), peeled & deveined
¼ cup butter
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
¼ cup finely chopped shallots or scallions
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup finely chopped parsley (preferably Italian flatleaf parsley)
Lemon wedges for garnish

1. Rinse shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Place in flame-proof baking dish in one layer.

2. Melt butter in olive oil over low heat, remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, shallots or green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour over shrimp, and turn shrimp over to coat all sides. Allow to marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.

3. Preheat broiler to highest setting. Broil shrimp in butter sauce for about 3 to 4 minutes, then turn shrimp over and broil the other side for about 3 minutes; they will turn pink all over, begin to brown on the edges, and will feel firm when done. Do not overcook.

4. Remove from broiler, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve shrimp and sauce garnished with lemon wedges. Accompany with rice or good crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

I like my scampi simple

I do it similar as above ingrident wise but I add a bit of roasted garlic to give it a little more sweetness and blends nicely with the shrimp.

I also just must some butter and EVOO and toss in the garlic, roasted garlic, onions (if i use them) and kidna start infusing the flavors on a medium heat. Then i cooke the shrimp in it as liek a poach and i finsih with some more butter, parsley and a bit of oregeano.

giggler said:
It was like 6 big shrimp, swimming in garlic butter and a bit of white wine and onion, then topped with bread crumbs and parsley, then browned under the broiler in a "chafing" dish?

Try Eric's first....If that don't make ya happy try Scotch's...After that you are on your own!

Back
Top Bottom