Shrimp Whatchamacallit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrannyG

Cook
I can tell you how to fix it, but it does not have a name. This is the best stuff you have ever eaten, and you DO NOT COOK a thing.

1 bottle of Clamato Juice
1 can of Spicy Hot V-8 juice
1 diced green pepper
1 diced red pepper
(I use yellow pepper when I can find them for color as well)
3-4 fresh green onions and tops
I also dice up a little bit of Texas 1015 sweet onion
(I cut mine with the scissors !)
I can of diced tomatoes
1 (or more) finely diced jalapeno peppers
Squeeze some fresh lime or lemon juice in this (I use about 2)
Add 2 bags of frozen, cleaned, and cooked shrimp. You can
use the little ones, too, but I love the big shrimp or use both.
Add fresh finely cut cilantro, as much as you prefer
Chill over night in the refridg….marinates all the flavors.
Add a couple diced avacados and fresh diced tomato just before
serving.
This looks pretty served in those clear 4 oz. plastic cups.We love
the juice, and sometimes add extra clamato and spicy V-8. You
can't make any mistakes !!

What size container of the juices do you use? This really looks great. I assume you are using 2 pounds of shrimp?

I think this is called "Ceviche". You can do it with lobster(expensive) or fresh crab. The marinating is what"cooks" the shrimp. Very good with pita chips.

GrannyG said:
I can tell you how to fix it, but it does not have a name. This is the best stuff you have ever eaten, and you DO NOT COOK a thing.

1 bottle of Clamato Juice
1 can of Spicy Hot V-8 juice
1 diced green pepper
1 diced red pepper
(I use yellow pepper when I can find them for color as well)
3-4 fresh green onions and tops
I also dice up a little bit of Texas 1015 sweet onion
(I cut mine with the scissors !)
I can of diced tomatoes
1 (or more) finely diced jalapeno peppers
Squeeze some fresh lime or lemon juice in this (I use about 2)
Add 2 bags of frozen, cleaned, and cooked shrimp. You can
use the little ones, too, but I love the big shrimp or use both.
Add fresh finely cut cilantro, as much as you prefer
Chill over night in the refridg….marinates all the flavors.
Add a couple diced avacados and fresh diced tomato just before
serving.
This looks pretty served in those clear 4 oz. plastic cups.We love
the juice, and sometimes add extra clamato and spicy V-8. You
can't make any mistakes !!

Not sure what these 2 ingredients are as I've never seen nor used them. I'm assuming that juice will be near the V8 if my store carries it. As far as the onion goes.....I know I've never seen that here in IN or in my hometown in IL. I suppose it'd be ok to us a Vadaila Onion as it has a sweet flavor?
Also, ditto on wanting to know the size jars.

Clamato juice is a tomato juice with a dried clam broth in it. If you can't get it, just use V8 and add a little more salt. I start with the 32 oz. bottle, but we love the flavor, so sometimes add more. The joy of this recipe is you can add what amounts you prefer. The shrimp is already cooked, so gives it that extra flavor. I use alot of shrimp, couple bags in mine. I just put it all in a big gallon jar and let it marinate in the refridg. If I take it to church, it goes in a fancy punch bowl and is served with assorted crackers. Vidalia onions are as sweet as the TX 1015 onions, or use any onion you have.

Fran said:
I think this is called "Ceviche". You can do it with lobster(expensive) or fresh crab. The marinating is what"cooks" the shrimp. Very good with pita chips.

Not quite Ceviche as the shrimp in this recipe are already cooked. This does sound great thought and I will give it a try soon.

JDP

I have copied and pasted that one into my recipe files...I titled it Granny G's Shrimp Cocktail.
I might be tempted to add a shot of vodka to my cup. ;)

GrannyG said:
Clamato juice is a tomato juice with a dried clam broth in it. If you can't get it, just use V8 and add a little more salt. I start with the 32 oz. bottle, but we love the flavor, so sometimes add more. The joy of this recipe is you can add what amounts you prefer. The shrimp is already cooked, so gives it that extra flavor. I use alot of shrimp, couple bags in mine. I just put it all in a big gallon jar and let it marinate in the refridg. If I take it to church, it goes in a fancy punch bowl and is served with assorted crackers. Vidalia onions are as sweet as the TX 1015 onions, or use any onion you have.

Thanks Granny!

The majority of shrimp ceviche recipes that I've seen call for the shrimp to be blanched first, mainly for texture and taste purposes. Not too many recipes call for the shrimp to be marinated raw. I've tasted shrimp ceviche made with raw shrimp and it has a funky texture. So you could call this a ceviche, or even an escabeche.

Back
Top Bottom