"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #11
Executive Chef

You could do some fried polenta cakes. Look up the thread on correct water-ratio in polenta and use the method that will give you thicker version. After you initially cook it, let it cool to harden in 1-2" layer, then use a mold or just cut out square or other shapes. Pan fry them in olive oil until golden brown on both sides.

You can get really creative with your flavorings. Some examples would be:
  • Caramelized Onions
  • Sun-Dried Tomato and any combination of Olives, Capers, Artichokes
  • Roasted Peppers
  • Fresh Sweet Corn
  • Most type of fresh herbs
You can also make polenta fries as well.

Another way would be to simply roast some quartered new or yukon gold potatoes in olive oil, garlic, and fresh herbs.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 AM   #12
Master Chef

Since I do have 5 kids let me interject into the kids argument. They are all different and eat whatever their palate will handle. Believe me, I know. They are all fed the same things but they all take it differently. There are some dishes that they will all like, very few of those, there are some dishes that they all will eat, meaning that only some of them like the dish the other ones are just eating it. And there goes part where there are things that some of them would not eat period, or all of them wouldn't eat, there are very few of the later ones. They all seem to like pasta, so I may just use the advice. As far as Mac and cheese goes, it's my wife’s favorite thing to make, I hate the thing, hate the smell, hate the look, hate the taste, I'd rather make macaroni with cheese my self, home made stuff, but the box one stink. Thank you everybody for advice. Why didn't I think of noodles, hm...

Old 07-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #13
Master Chef

P.S. and I have done rostaed new potato, it also works well, thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
Master Chef

i'd make angelhair w/ pesto. that's pretty versatile.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Halibut, any sugestions? i make this pan fried steak, and it's really good, but can't seem to come up with good side dish. It has somewhat sweet taste, so potato doesn't really go well togeteher
How about sweet potato fries, corn on the cob, and a romaine and cherry tomato salad with Southwestern Caesar dressing?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:55 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi all,

I'd go for something like couscous with bell peppers and chives/leeks/spring onions (a light onion taste, but not as bold as white or red onions), and whatever herbs you have on hand - mint is always great with couscous. Or even (a somewhat retro) layered veg salad (kids love the layered look ).

I also think fish can be excellent when accompanied by oven roasted fennel bulbs.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

We frequently serve "Cheese Rice" with halibut and it's the perfect foil! I posted the recipe some time ago here.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
This is what I mean by a good bread...

Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup cold water
3/4 cup grated cheddar

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon Garlic salt or powder
1/2 teaspoon Parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasonings

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix bisquick, water and cheese. Drop by large
spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. After baking,
(while hot) brush on melted butter or margarine mixed with garlic powder,
parsley flakes and Italian seasoning. (Amounts will vary by the size
batch you make, but a little goes a long way.) Serve hot.

I make these often.......very good comfort food.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Since I do have 5 kids let me interject into the kids argument. They are all different and eat whatever their palate will handle. Believe me, I know. They are all fed the same things but they all take it differently. There are some dishes that they will all like, very few of those, there are some dishes that they all will eat, meaning that only some of them like the dish the other ones are just eating it. And there goes part where there are things that some of them would not eat period, or all of them wouldn't eat, there are very few of the later ones. They all seem to like pasta, so I may just use the advice. As far as Mac and cheese goes, it's my wife’s favorite thing to make, I hate the thing, hate the smell, hate the look, hate the taste, I'd rather make macaroni with cheese my self, home made stuff, but the box one stink. Thank you everybody for advice. Why didn't I think of noodles, hm...
I feal your pain, CharlieD! I have 5 kids as well. The oldest is REALLY picky, and just wants to eat meat. It's like pulling teeth to get him to eat much else. The next one down, as well as my twin sons, usually will eat a little of everything on the plate, but they won't clean it. My daughter isn't on solid food yet.

I have the best luck with them eating side dishes if it's packaged rice/pasta stuff, like Cheesy Broccoli rice, etc. I make a darn good rice pilaf from scratch, but for some reason, they won't eat it.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne duLibre
I don't have children, would rather be one.
That explains a lot...

Tags
None