Skin on or off? Why and when?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john_coburg

Assistant Cook
Good morning all
I can't decide what the best approach is when grilling various fish: skin on or off? Is it just down to personal taste or is their an accepted 'norm'? for example, when grilling a brill or dover sole, traditionally i feel the skin should be off, but i often find the skin on a salmon escalope often adds an earthy flavour and a crispy texture to the dish. Is it a 'no-no', or does it strictly depend on the fish and the type of preparation...?

I base my reply on using fillets. I would think that personal preference plays the biggest part. Of the fish you mention, the sole is a very delicate, flaky fish and the salmon is a very fatty fish which, IMHO, fares much better with skin on when grilled. Of the flat fish, I don't think I would even consider grilling unless it was halibut.

My family always grilled the walleye we caught with skin off. A fish basket helps.

Personal preference I guess.

Smoking and grilling, skin on so it doesn't fall apart. No need to turn. With the skin on I like to wrap fish in foil or cedar sheets,
or on a fish basket.

Last edited:
For me, eating the skin or not depends entirely on the type of fish, and how it's cooked. Most freshwater fish are fine. However, some of the larger ocean species can have thick, rubbery skin. Tuna, for example.

I usually only eat the skin when the fish has either been fried, roasted, or grilled, because it's nice and crispy. If you use a wet cooking method such as poaching, the skin will have a weird texture. I won't eat it then.

Any time you can get skin on, bones, you are going to get more flavor. I personally don't like fish skin, but I toss that in the freezer for when I make fish stock. Love to have the rack and the head as well.

Any time you can get skin on, bones, you are going to get more flavor. I personally don't like fish skin, but I toss that in the freezer for when I make fish stock. Love to have the rack and the head as well.

Nothing like having the whole frame for fish stock. I will ask the back room folks, specially on Friday, if they have any. We have a lot of Spanish and Italian speaking people is this community and also in the community where my supermarket is located. Most of them still adhere to the old rules of Friday Fish Day.

When I fry breaded fish, or bake in the oven, I leave the skin on. It holds the moisture and flavor in. If I am poaching, I remove it first.

Good morning all
I can't decide what the best approach is when grilling various fish: skin on or off? Is it just down to personal taste or is their an accepted 'norm'? for example, when grilling a brill or dover sole, traditionally i feel the skin should be off, but i often find the skin on a salmon escalope often adds an earthy flavour and a crispy texture to the dish. Is it a 'no-no', or does it strictly depend on the fish and the type of preparation...?
It's up to you. Which do you prefer? As far as I know, there isn't a fish with skin that will do you harm but some fish have a tough skin which isn't too edible.

If you leave the skin on it helps to keep the fish together. Your guests (or you) can eat it or not as you choose. It's nice and crispy.

I don't know what brill is but I've had grilled/broiled dover sole in high-end restaurants in Britain and France and it always comes to table with its skin on. If it's served in fillets rolled round something and poached (eg "sole veronique") then it will have had its skin removed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom