Smoked Salmon question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I know this is gonna sound stupid for some of you, but, I've never had smoked salmon in my house. When you buy it smoked, is it considered raw? Do you have to do something with it before using it in sushi or do you have to keep it really cold the whole time so not to get diseases?

texasgirl said:
I know this is gonna sound stupid for some of you, but, I've never had smoked salmon in my house. When you buy it smoked, is it considered raw? Do you have to do something with it before using it in sushi or do you have to keep it really cold the whole time so not to get diseases?

just keep it cool and use it as it is... that's the way we do it in Germany..

Smoked salmon is cold smoked so it is not cooked by heat per say. You don't have to do anything with it before using. You can eat it straight out of the package. You do not have to keep it on ice like you would oysters on the half shell or something like that. We often have it for breakfast with our bagels. We put it out on a platter with veggies and other things. While you don't want to keep it out for a long time, it can be out of the refrigeration for a little while.

There are two kinds of smoked salmon. Hot smoked and cold smoked.

Hot smoked salmon is cooked through and has a smoky flavor as you would expect. You usually see a thick fillet (6-8 ounces) of salmon hot smoked.

Cold smoked salmon is not cooked. It's eaten uncooked and smoked. Lox, that folks put on a bagel with cream cheese, is cold smoked salmon. It's usually found in thin slices.

You can use either one in sushi. There is no rule that fish used in sushi must be raw. Some sushi is made with those imitation crab thingies - surimi.

In fact, you can make sushi with just vegetables.

For a twist, make a sushi roll with roasted red pepper, calamata olives and fresh basil leaves.

Good, thank you!! I hope my stuff get's here by this weekend. I want to make it. I've had a taste for it all weekend. YUMMY!!

There's nothing like a bagel, toasted, smeared with cream cheese, topped with smoked salmon, chopped capers (drained) and finely chopped red onion, truly a mind-blowing combination. Never had it til 2 years ago when our son made us a quick appetizer while I was banging pots n' pans around getting dinner ready--someone had sent us Sea Bear smoked salmon for Christmas--that appetizer stopped me dead in my tracks. He put it on English muffins cuz that was all I had in the house and he cut it in fourths. Great for breakfast, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom