Smoking smelts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ones we ate were freshwater. As I understand it, there are fresh- and saltwater smelt. The ones we harvested came from Lake Superior, or thereabouts. They were very good as appetizers.

There are many fish species that are euryhaline. They can handle a wide range of salinity. Bull sharks have been found to travel way up the Mississippi and other freshwater rivers, streams and lakes.

yup. fortunately, only bull sharks have a salt gland that allows them to spend a long time in fresh water.

the bad news is that bull sharks are tied with great whites in terms of curiosity and aggressiveness.

Last edited:
It is true. I wasn't born in the 1800's, but rather in 1955. My co-workers are younger than me by close to a decade, and poke fun at my age, and that I am slower than they are. What they don't realize, and I'm talking about adults who are young enough to be my kids, that they are in worse shape in their early thirties, than I was in my early 40's. What does that bode for them when they are in their mid-fifties? My closest co-worker started with us when he was about twenty years old. I kept up with him completely at that time, though I was in my early forties.

I make fun of myself for fun and to amuse others, as I am perfectly satisfied with how I have run my life, how my children turned out to be spectacular adults, and a host of other factors in my travels through life.

AFter all, how many can clame that they created the world's best pancake recipe?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you all for the input... it's been a very lively conversation, and very informative.

I live in Las Vegas, so there's not a lot of fresh fish available locally. I spotted the frozen (already cleaned) smelts at one of the local Chinese markets. I've had them fried and always enjoyed them so I figured I'd try smoking them. I brined them for 1:15, which in hindsight was too long; they are very salty. My basic brine is 1 gal. water 2 cups kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar and a bunch of spices. After brining I rinsed the smelts with fresh water. I smoked them at 170 degrees for 2 hours and used hickory chips for smoke. I added the hickory chips at the start and then added some at about 1:30, which again with 20/20 hindsight was too much. They were so strongly flavored that I actually rinsed them with freash after they cooled and allowed them to air dry for a couple of hours. they are firm but not quite what I'd call "dry" (I read of folks who smoke them 'till they're completely dry, 12-24 hours). I think that the brining should be limited to about an hour, maybe cutting back a little on the salt (possibly because I'm getting sea run smelts and they're naturally saltier?) and smoking to 1:30 or a little less. I also would not use hickory again, the next batch will be apple or maple. I'm eating them anyway and will try another batch in 2 weeks; I'll let you all know how I do on the next batch. Thank you all again. Happy Smoking!

thank you for the details, howzit.

i may actually get to smoke fish someday soon, and your tips will be very valuable.

i'm glad you mentioned smoking with apple wood because i just saved a load of branches from my tree.

thank you for the details, howzit.

i may actually get to smoke fish someday soon, and your tips will be very valuable.

i'm glad you mentioned smoking with apple wood because i just saved a load of branches from my tree.
I've been saving "windfall" branches off the apple and pear trees for about 2 years now...it's about time I figure out how to use the smoker I picked up last summer...my issue is getting fresh fish........my cousin smokes a lot of fish and sent me a pdf on how to smoke fish. He prefers lake trout moist smoked.

Back
Top Bottom